Meeting 587 Minutes
The University Senate
of Michigan Technological University
Minutes of Meeting 587
18 January 2017
PDF version of Minutes 587
Senate minutes are time-indexed [in square brackets] to the relevant segments of the streaming video of the meeting.
- Presentation: “Sustainability and Recycling” presented by Jay Meldrum, Executive Director of Sustainability
- Committee Reports: none.
- Proposal 4-17: Proposed Revisions to Senate Procedures 502.1.1, "Review and Reappointment of Deans of Colleges" presented by Administrative Policy Committee (Voting Units: Full Senate) was passed.
- Proposal 7-17: A Proposal to Establish a Concentration in Electric Power Engineering as part of the degree Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering presented by Curricular Policy Committee (Voting Units: Academic) was introduced.
- Laptop initiative presented by Wayne Pennington and Jon Sticklen.
1. Call to Order
President Marty Thompson called the University Senate Meeting 587 to order at 5:30 PM on Wednesday January 18, 2017.
2. Roll Call of Senators and Recognition of Visitors [0:21-2:43]
The Senate Secretary Brian Barkdoll called roll. Absent were senators King, Frost, Hristova, Sams, Sutter, Cai, Xia, Velat, Nakkula, and Kallio with no representatives from Army/Air Force ROTC, Biomedical Engineering, Library, Materials Sciences and Eng., or Staff Council. Visitors were: Jaqueline Huntoon (Provost’s Office), Theresa Coleman-Kaiser (Administration), Kerri Sleeman (Facilities), Wayne Pennington (Engineering Dean’s Office), Jon Sticklen (Engineering Fundamentals), Jay Meldrum (Sustainability Office), Joseph Cooper (Financial Aid), and Josh Marshall (Computer Science).
3. Approval of Agenda [2:45-3:05]
The agenda passed on a voice vote with no discussion or abstention.
4. Approval of Minutes from Meetings 586 [3:06-3:42]
The minutes passed on a voice vote with no discussion or abstention.
5. Presentations [3:43-45:20]
a. “Sustainability and Recycling” presented by Jay Meldrum, Executive Director of Sustainability
Slides (link to slides) summarized the following: link to the strategic plan, history, reductions at MTU, use exhaust heat, changed lighting, reducing computers, solar panels, buying source, KRC energy issues, wind studies, alternative energy enterprise, Green Campus Enterprise, partners, community projects, sustainability association membership, and recycling.
6. President's Report [45:21-49:06]
President Thompson announced the budget forum, Sabbatical Leave Committee, curricular proposal details and schedule, status of proposals, and the President’s evaluation. (link) [45:21-45:40]
President Thompson gave former Senate Assistant Judi Smigowski gifts and thanked her for her service. [45:41 – 49:06]
7. Committee Reports [49:07-49:10]
8. Unfinished Business [49:11-50:14]
a. Proposal 4-17: Proposed Revisions to Senate Procedures 502.1.1, “Review and Reappointment of Deans of Colleges” presented by Administrative Policy Committee (Voting Units: Full Senate)
Moved by Nooshabadi and seconded. Proposal passed on a voice vote with no discussion or abstention.
9. New Business [50:15-1:53:30]
a. Requirements of Laptops
Pennington and Sticklen gave a summary of an upcoming requirement of laptops for students in the Engineering Fundamentals First-Year Program. Much discussion ensued on various issues such as prices, burden to students, and pedagogical issues. After Sticklen and Pennington were released by the Senate President at the conclusion of their presentation, Nooshabadi introduced a resolution to have the Senate debate and vote on the policy (here). After being seconded and some discussion on academic freedom and the role of the Senate and academic issues, the resolution passed by a hand vote of 14 to 8 [50:15-1:52:05]
Proposal 7-17: A Proposal to Establish a Concentration in Electric Power Engineering as part of the degree Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering presented by Curricular Policy Committee (Voting Units: Academic) [1:52:05-1:53:30]
Hungwe introduced it and Nooshabadi gave background.
10. Public Comments [1:53:31-1:53:37]
11. Adjournment [1:53:37]
President Thompson adjourned the meeting at 7:26 PM.
Respectfully submitted by
Secretary of the University Senate