One of the most important responsibilities University employees have in their jobs is to stay up-to-date with training. This page will serve as a repository of Research-related training sessions, providing Michigan Tech employees a convenient, one-stop-shop for training presentations and their associated educational handouts. Additional training sessions will be added as they are presented to the campus community.
New Faculty Orientation
Explore the basics of research at Michigan Tech: internal funding, proposals and awards, graduate programs, partnerships, accounting and reporting, intellectual property, ethics, security, and publicity and promotion.
- Research at Michigan Tech—An Overview
- Example Faculty Scholarly Activity Program Initiation Timeline
Applying for Grants and Contracts
Learn about how to plan for funding, corporate partnerships, foundation and corporate relations, searching for funding with Grant Forward, and different funding opportunities.
- Finding Funding Part 1: Planning (approximately 10 minutes)
- Finding Funding Part 2: Searching (approximately 12 minutes)
- Finding Funding Part 3: Funding Sources (approximately 14 minutes)
- Finding Funding Part 4: Foundations (approximately 4 minutes)
- Finding Funding Part 5: Industry (approximately 13 minutes)
Designed to help attendees make sense of the award process, provide familiarity with internal forms, understand budgeting, gain awareness of cost sharing and matches, and explain the roles and responsibilities of different University groups.
- Budget Justification Sample
- Budget Worksheet Sample
- Cost Share/Matching Support Authorization Form
- Cost Share/Matching Support Authorization Form Instructions
- Cost Share/Matching Support Authorization Form Example
- Internal Proposal Submission Deadline Chart
- Transmittal Sample
- Sample Subrecipient Commitment Form
- Biographical Sketch Sample
Explore grants.gov—a resource for finding funding. Topics covered include how to search for funding on the site and completing an application package for a grant.
Cost Share Workshop
Training covering many aspects of the cost-share program, including commitment at the proposal stage, management at the award stage, samples of budget, cost-share forms, and transmittal, and helpful hints for dealing with cost share.
Export Control and National Security
Find out more about intellectual property, research data, proprietary materials, and national security—and your role in controlling their dissemination.
Conducting Research Responsibly
Covers core confidentiality issues, including balancing the spread of knowledge with security and safety, the Freedom of Information Act, nondisclosure, intellectual property, and research contracts.
Investigate issues related to intellectual property in research, including relevant laws, policies, and rationale for University rules, and the basics of patenting, commercialization, and patent licensing.
This workshop includes an organizational overview and covers the project payroll certification document (PPCD), the post-award process, and institutional research and development.
Project Payroll Certification Document Process
Learn the basics of the Project Payroll Certification Document process, including salary and wage reports, reallocations, and closeout.
Reading Accounting Statements
Covers how to read and understand different accounting statements that researchers encounter on a monthly basis, and provides resources for researchers.