Double Majors for Advisors
A double major is a Michigan Tech bachelor's degree with two majors and is granted when requirements of both curricula are satisfied at the same time. A student who completes a double major will be awarded one diploma listing both majors, for example, “Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering with an additional major in Mathematics.”
- The double major is distinctly different from the second degree. Majoring in two subjects does not require additional credit hours beyond departmental requirements and only a single degree is granted. Double majors work best for degree programs with similar curricular structures. When two majors have very different requirements necessitating the completion of 32 or more "additional" credits, students should consider a second degree program that results in the awarding of two distinct baccalaureate degrees and diplomas.
- A student pursuing a double major will designate one as the primary major. Students planning to earn a double major should declare both majors and begin planning their course work as early as possible. Advisors must be identified in the departments of both majors in order to assure that the degree requirements of both are met.
- Students may only earn an additional major if that major is offered under the same degree type (Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts) as the primary major. If the degree types for the majors are different then the student must pursue a second degree.
- If a single department offers two distinct majors, it is possible to complete a double major within that department by fulfilling the requirements for both majors. However, student may not earn a double concentration or option within a single major.
- In the event that both majors require a senior project, a student may petition both departments to accept one project for both majors prior to beginning the senior project.
- Students who have previously been awarded a degree cannot have the double major designation added to their transcript.
Students desiring a double major should indicate their intent by filing a Curriculum Add/Drop form, complete with signature from the academic advisor for the additional department, with the Registrar’s Office.