The faculty of the Department of Physics at Michigan Tech is at the forefront of advanced research in a multitude of physics disciplines. From atmospheric to materials to photonics, faculty members work on vexing problems in many different areas. Discover more about physics research at Michigan Tech below by browsing each faculty member's recent publications.
- M.C. Wittmann and K.E. Black. "Mathematical actions as procedural resources: An example from the separation of variables." Phys. Rev. ST Phy. Educ. Res. 11, 020114 (2015)
- M.C. Wittmann and K.E. Black. "Visualizing changes in pretest and post-test student responses with consistency plots." Phys. Rev. ST Phys. Educ. Res. 10, 010114 (2014)
- M.C. Wittmann, V.J. Flood, and K.E. Black. "Algebraic manipulations as motion within a landscape." Educational Studies in Mathematics 82.2 (2013).
- Borysow, Jacek, and Massimo Moraldi. "On the interpretation of the Q-branch of hydrogen in water." Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 49.11 (2016): 115202.
- Borysow, Jacek, et al. "Spectroscopic and thermodynamic properties of molecular hydrogen dissolved in water at pressures up to 200 MPa." The Journal of chemical physics 140.16 (2014): 164312.
- Fink, Manfred, Philip Varghese, and Jacek Borysow. "Superior analyzer for raman spectra with high acceptance cone, resolution, transmission, quantum efficiency, and strong background reduction." U.S. Patent No. 8,675,191. 18 Mar. 2014.
- Fink, Manfred, Philip Varghese, and Jacek Borysow. "Superior analyzer for raman spectra with high acceptance cone, resolution, transmission, and quantum efficiency, and strong background reduction." U.S. Patent No. 8,384,894. 26 Feb. 2013.
- Fink, Manfred, Philip Varghese, and Jacek Borysow. "A New, Nondispersive Raman Analyzer to Measure Molecular Densities with high Sensitivity in Complex Environments." Laser Applications to Chemical, Security and Environmental Analysis. Optical Society of America, 2012.
- Borysow, Jacek, Manfred Fink, and Philip Varghese. "Raman spectrometer for monitoring traces of dissolved organic and inorganic substances." U.S. Patent No. 8,111,394. 7 Feb. 2012.
Will H. Cantrell
- Chandrakar, K.K., W. Cantrell, K. Chang, D. Ciochetto, D. Niedermeier, M. Ovchinnikov, R. A. Shaw, and F. Yang, Aerosol indirect effect from turbulence-induced broadening of cloud-droplet size distributions. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., doi:10.1073/pnas.1612686113, 2016.
- Chang, K., J. Bench, M. Brege, W. Cantrell, K. Chandrakar, D. Ciochetto, C. Mazzoleni, L. Mazzoleni, D. Neidermeir, and R. Shaw. A laboratory facility to study gas-aerosol-cloud interactions in a turbulent environment: The Pi Chamber, Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., accepted, 2016. Read More
- Niehaus, J. and W. Cantrell. Contact freezing of water by salts. J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 6, 3490â€“3495, 2015.
- Woodward, X., A. Kostinski, S. China, C. Mazzoleni, and W. Cantrell, Characterization of dust particlesâ€™ 3D shape and roughness with nanometer resolution. Aerosol Sci. Technol., 49, 229-238, 2015.
- Niehaus, J., J.G. Becker, A. Kostinski, and W. Cantrell, Laboratory measurements of contact freezing by dust and bacteria at temperatures of mixed phase clouds. J. Atmos. Sci., 71, 3659â€“3667, 2014.
- Mohammad H. Teimourpour, Li Ge, Demetrios N. Christodoulides, Ramy El-Ganainy, “Non-Hermitian engineering of single mode two dimensional laser arrays”, Scientific Reports 6, 33253 (2016).
- M. H. Teimourpour, D. N. Christodoulides, R. El-Ganainy, “Optical revivals in nonuniform supersymmetric photonic arrays”, Opt. Letter. 41.2, 372-375 (2016)
- D. W. Schönleber, A. Eisfeld, R. El-Ganainy, "Optomechanical interactions in non-Hermitian photonic molecules", New Journal of Physics, Volume 18 (2016)
- Li Ge, Ramy El-Ganainy, “Nonlinear modal interactions in parity-time (PT) symmetric lasers”, Scientific Reports, 6, 24889 (2016)
- R. El-Ganainy, J.I. Dadap, R.M. Osgood, “Optical parametric amplification via non-Hermitian phase matching”, Opt. Lett. 40, 5086-5089 (2015)
- R. El-Ganainy, Li Ge, M. Khajavikhan, D.N. Christodoulides, “Supersymmetric laser arrays”, Phys. Rev. A 92, 033818 (2015)
- M. H. Teimourpour, R. El-Ganainy, “Efficient computation of spontaneous emission dynamics in arbitrary photonic structures”, J. Opt. 17, 125203 (2015)
- Miguel Levy, Turhan K. Carroll, Ramy El-Ganainy, "Enhancing optical isolator performance in nonreciprocal waveguide arrays", Opt. Lett. 40, 111-114 (2015)
- Ramy El-Ganainy and Miguel Levy, "Optical isolation in topological-edge-state photonic arrays", Opt. Lett. 40, 5275-5278 (2015)
- Xinyuan Qi, Konstantinos G. Makris, Ramy El-Ganainy, Peng Zhang, Jintao Bai, Demetrios N. Christodoulides, Zhigang Chen, "Observation of accelerating Wannier–Stark beams in optically induced photonic lattices", Optics letters 39.4, 1065-1068 (2014)
Brian E. Fick
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration “Energy Estimation of Cosmic Rays with the Engineering Radio Array of the Pierre Auger Observatory”, Phys. Rev. D 93, 122005 (2016)
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “Measurement of the Radiation Energy in the Radio Signal of Extensive Air Showers as a Universal Estimator of Cosmic-Ray Energy”, PRL 116, 241101 (2016)
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “Azimuthal asymmetry in the risetime of the Surface Detector signals of the Pierre Auger Observatory”, Phys. Rev. D 93, 072006 (2016)
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, Telescope Array Collaboration, IceCube Collaboration, “Search for correlations between the arrival directions of IceCube neutrino events and ultrahigh-energy cosmic rays detected by the Pierre Auger Observatory and the Telescope Array”, JCAP 01 (2016) 037
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “Measurement of the cosmic ray spectrum above 4×10^18 eV using inclined events detected with the Pierre Auger Observatory”, JCAP 08 (2015) 049
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “The Pierre Auger Cosmic Ray Observatory”, NIM A 798 (2015) 172-213
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “An improved limit to the diffuse flux of ultra-high energy neutrinos from the Pierre Auger Observatory”, Phys. Rev. D 91, 092008 (2015)
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “Searches for Anisotropies in the Arrival Directions of the Highest Energy Cosmic Rays Detected by the Pierre Auger Observatory”, ApJ 804, 15 (2015)
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “Large scale distribution of ultra high energy cosmic rays detected at the Pierre Auger Observatory with zenith angles up to 80 degrees”, ApJ 802, 111 (2015)
- Fick, B. E., The Pierre Auger Collaboration, “Search for patterns by combining cosmic ray energy and arrival directions at the Pierre Auger Observatory”, Eur. Phys. J. C (2015) 75:269
Petra H. Huentemeyer
- Complete HAWC publication list: Read More
- "Search for TeV Gamma-Ray Emission from Point-like Sources in the Inner Galactic Plane with a Partial Configuration of the HAWC Observatory”, Abeysekara et al. (the HAWC Collaboration), The Astrophysical Journal, Volume 817, Issue 1, article id. 3 (2016)
- "Fermi Bubbles with HAWC", H. A. Ayala Solares, C. M. Hui & P. Huentemeyer for the HAWC Colllaboration, Proceedings of the 34th International Cosmic Ray Conference, The Hague, The Netherlands, arXiv:1508.06592 (2015).
- "Spectrum and Morphology of the Two Brightest Milagro Sources in the Cygnus Region: MGRO J2019+37 and MGRO J2031+41", Abdo et al. (the Milagro Collaboration), The Astrophysical Journal, 753, 159. (June 25, 2012).
- "Constraints on the Emission Model of the “Naked-Eye Burst” GRB 080319B", Abdo et al. (the Milagro Collaboration), The Astrophysical Journal Letters, 753, L31 (June 21, 2012).
- "Observation and Spectral Measurements of the Crab Nebula with Milagro", Abdo et al. (the Milagro Collaboration), The Astrophysical Journal, 750, 63 (May 1, 2012).
- "Indications of Proton-Dominated Cosmic-Ray Composition above 1.6 EeV", Abbasi et al. (the HiRes Collaboration), Physical Review Letters , Vol. 104, No. 161101 (2010).
- "Milagro Observations of Multi-TeV Emission from Galactic Sources in the Fermi Bright Source List", Abdo et al. (the Milagro Collaboration), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 700, L127 (2009).
- "HAWC Timing Calibration", Huentemeyer, P. H., Matthews, J. A.J., Dingus, B., Proceedings of the 31st International Cosmic Ray Conference (2009).
- "The Large-Scale Cosmic-Ray Anisotropy as Observed with Milagro", Abdo et al. (the Milagro Collaboration), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 698, 2121 (2009).
- "A Measurement of the Spatial Distribution of Diffuse TeV Gamma-Ray Emission from the Galactic Plane with Milagro", Abdo et al. (the Milagro Collaboration), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 688, 1078 (2008).
- "Air Fluorescence Measurements in the Spectral Range 300–400 nm Using a 28.5 GeV Electron Beam", Astroparticle Physics, Vol. 29, 77 (2008).
- "An Upper Limit on the Electron-Neutrino Flux from the HiRes Detector" (with Abbasi et al.), The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 684, 790 (2008).
- "Merelaniite, Mo4Pb4VSbS15, a New Molybdenum-Essential Member of the Cylindrite Group, from the Merelani Tanzanite Deposit, Lelatema Mountains, Manyara Region, Tanzania." Jaszczak, J.A.; Rumsey, M.S.; Bindi, L.; Hackney, S.A.; Wise, M.A.; Stanley, C.J.; Spratt, J. Minerals 6, 115, (2016). Read More
- “New Flexible Channels for Room Temperature Tunneling Field Effect Transistors.” B. Hao, A. Asthana, P. K. Hazaveh, P. Bergstrom, D. Banyai*, M. Savaikar*, J. A. Jaszczak, and Y. K. Yap. Scientific Reports 6, 20293 (2016). Read More
- “Simulation of charge transport in multi-island tunneling devices: Application to disordered one-dimensional systems at low and high bias.” M. A. Savaikar, D. Banyai, P. L. Bergstrom, and J. A. Jaszczak. (2013) Journal of Applied Physics.
- “Room Temperature Tunneling Behaviors of Boron Nitride Nanotubes Functionalized with Gold Quantum Dots.” C. H. Lee, M. A. Savaikar, J. S. Wang, B. Y. Hao, D. Y. Zhang, D. Banyai, J. A. Jaszczak, and Y. K. Yap. Advanced Materials (2013). DOI: 10.1002/adma.201301339 Read More
- “Nanotech Innovations Enterprise at Michigan Technological University.” J. A. Jaszczak, E. M. Bouta, and M. B. Raber. Journal of Nano Education 5 (2013) 27-43.
- “Miracle at Merelani: A remarkable occurrence of graphite, diopside and associated minerals from the Karo Pit, Block D, Merelani Hills, Arusha Region, Tanzania.” J. A. Jaszczak. Rocks & Minerals 88, 154-165 (2013). Read More
- "Word to the Wise: Raman spectroscopy in the identification and study of minerals." J. A. Jaszczak. Rocks & Minerals 88, 184-189 (2013). Read More
- "Relationship between structure, morphology, and carbon isotopic composition of graphite in marbles: Implications for calcite-graphite carbon isotope thermometry." M. Satish-Kumar, J. A. Jaszczak, T. Hamamatsu, and H. Wada. American Mineralogist 96 470-485 (2011). Read More
- "The graphites of New York: Scientific and aesthetic surprises." J. A. Jaszczak, S. C. Chamberlain and G. W. Robinson. Rocks & Minerals 84, 502-519 (2009). Read More
- "Developing Nano Education at a Technological University: Science, Technology and Societal Implications of Nano." J. A. Jaszczak and B. E. Seely.In: Nanoscale Science and Engineering Education: Issues, Trends and Future Directions, A. E. Sweeney and S. Seal, Eds. American Scientific Publishers (2008) 591-619.
- "Micro- and nano-scale graphite cones and tubes from Hackman Valley, Kola Peninsula, Russia," J. A. Jaszczak, S. Dimovski, S. A. Hackney, G. W. Robinson, P. Bosio, and Y. Gogotsi. Canadian Mineralogist 45, 379-389 (2007). Read More
- "Mechanism for Spatial Organization in Quantum Dot Self-Assembly," D. Gao, A. S. Kaczysnki, and J. A. Jaszczak, Applied Physics Letters 86, 133102 1-3 (2005). Also published in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology 11(13), April 4, 2005.
- "Naturally occurring graphite cones," J. A. Jaszczak, G. W. Robinson, S. Dimovski and Y. Gogotsi, Carbon 41 2085-2092 (2003). Read More
Alex B. Kostinski
- Yang, F., Cruikshank, O., He, W., Kostinski, A., & Shaw, R. A. (2018). Nonthermal
ice nucleation observed at distorted contact lines of supercooled water drops.
Physical Review E,
- Marshak, A., Várnai, T., & Kostinski, A. (2017). Terrestrial glint seen from deep
space: Oriented ice crystals detected from the Lagrangian point.
Geophysical Research Letters,
44(10), 5197-5202. doi:10.1002/2017gl073248
- Altaratz, O., Kucienska, B., Kostinski, A., Raga, G. B., & Koren, I. (2017). Global
association of aerosol with flash density of intense lightning.
Environmental Research Letters,
12(11), 114037. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/aa922b
- Glienke, S., Kostinski, A., Fugal, J., Shaw, R. A., Borrmann, S., & Stith, J. (2017). Cloud droplets to drizzle: Contribution of transition drops to microphysical and optical properties of marine stratocumulus clouds. Geophysical Research Letters, 44(15), 8002-8010. doi:10.1002/2017gl074430
- O. V. Borovkova, H. Hashim, M. A. Kozhaev, S. A. Dagesyan, A. Chakravarty, M. Levy, and V. I. Belotelov, "TMOKE as efficient tool for the magneto-optic analysis of ultra-thin magnetic films," Appl. Phys. Lett. 112 (2018).
- Dolendra Karki, Vincent Stenger, Andrea Pollick, Miguel Levy, “Thin-film magnetless Faraday rotators for compact heterogeneous integrated optical isolators,” J. Appl. Phys. 121, 233101 (2017). Read More
- Miguel Levy and Dolendra Karki, “Nonreciprocal transverse photonic spin and magnetization-induced electromagnetic spin-orbit coupling,” Scientific Reports Sci. Rep. 7, 39972; doi: 10.1038/srep39972 (2017). Read More
- Mehdi Sadatgol, Mahfuzur Rahman, Ebrahim Forati, Miguel Levy, and Durdu Ö. Güney, “Enhanced Faraday rotation in hybrid magneto-optical metamaterial structure of bismuth-substituted-iron-garnet with embedded-gold-wires,” J. Appl. Phys. (2016).
- Ramy El-Ganainy and Miguel Levy, “Optical diodes in topological photonic arrays,” SPIE Newsroom 10.1117/2.1201602.006358 (2016). Read More
- Miguel Levy, A. Chakravarty, H. –C. Huang, R. M. Osgood, Jr., “Large magneto-optic enhancement in ultra-thin liquid-phase-epitaxy iron garnet films,” Appl. Phys. Lett. vol. 107, 011104 (2015). Read More
- Mehdi Sadatgol, Mahfuzur Rahman, Ebrahim Forati, Miguel Levy, Durdu O. Guney, "Magneto-Optic Metamaterial," arXiv. physics (2015) Read More
- Miguel Levy, Turhan Carroll, and Ramy El-Ganainy, “Enhancing Optical Isolator Performance in Nonreciprocal Waveguide Arrays,” Opt. Lett. Vol. 40, 111-114 (2015). Read More
- Ramy El-Ganainy and Miguel Levy, "Optical Isolation in Topological-Edge-State Photonic Arrays," Opt. Lett. Vol. 40, 5275-5278 (2015). Read More
- Full list of publications at https://sites.google.com/a/mtu.edu/eol/home/dissemination/publications Read More
- Gourihar Kulkarni, Swarup China, Shang Liu, Manjula Nandasiri, Noopur Sharma, Jacqueline Wilson, Allison C. Aiken, Duli Chand, Alexander Laskin, Claudio Mazzoleni, Mikhail Pekour, John Shilling, Vaithiyalingam Shutthanandan, Alla Zelenyuk, Rahul A. Zaveri, “Ice nucleation activity of diesel soot particles at Cirrus relevant temperature conditions: Effects of hydration, secondary organics coating, soot morphology, and coagulation”, Geophysical Research Letters, DOI: 10.1002/2016GL068707, accepted manuscript online 30 March, 2016
- Kelken Chang, Jim Bench, Matt Brege, Will Cantrell, Kamal K. Chandrakar, David Ciochetto, Claudio Mazzoleni, Lynn R. Mazzoleni, Dennis Niedermeier and Raymond A. Shaw, “A laboratory facility to study gas-aerosol-cloud interactions in a turbulent environment: The Π Chamber”, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-15-00203.1, published online on March 26, 2016
- Swarup China, Gourihar Kulkarni, Barbara V. Scarnato, Noopur Sharma, Mikhail Pekour, John E. Shilling, Jacqueline Wilson, Alla Zelenyuk, Duli Chand, Shang Liu, Allison C. Aiken, Manvendra K. Dubey, Alexander Laskin, Rahul A. Zaveri and Claudio Mazzoleni, “Morphology of diesel soot residuals from supercooled water droplets and ice crystals: implications for optical properties”, Environmental Research Letters, 10, 114010, 2015
- Shang Liu, Allison C. Aiken, Kyle Gorkowski, Manvendra K. Dubey, Christopher D. Cappa, Leah R. Williams, Scott C. Herndon, Paola Massoli, Edward C. Fortner, Puneet S. Chhabra, William A. Brooks, Timothy B. Onasch, John T. Jayne, Douglas R. Worsnop, Swarup China, Noopur Sharma, Claudio Mazzoleni, Lu Xu, Nga L. Ng, Dantong Liu, James D. Allan, James D. Lee, Zoë L. Fleming, Claudia Mohr, Peter Zotter, Sönke Szidat and André S. H. Prévôt, “Enhanced light absorption by mixed source black and brown carbon particles in UK winter”, Nature Communications, 6, 8435 doi: 10.1038/ncomms9435, 2015
- Detlev Helmig, Mauricio Muñoz, Jacques Hueber, Claudio Mazzoleni, Lynn Mazzoleni, Richard C. Owen, Maria Val-Martin, Paulo Fialho, Christian Plass-Duelmer, Paul I. Palmer, Alastair C. Lewis, Gabriele Pfister, “Climatology and atmospheric chemistry of the non-methane hydrocarbons ethane and propane over the North Atlantic”, Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, 3:000054, doi: 10.12952/journal.elementa.000054, 2015
- Katja Dzepina, Claudio Mazzoleni, Paulo Fialho, Sawrup China, Bo Zhang, Robert C. Owen, Detlev Helmig, Jacques Hueber, Sumit Kumar, Judith A. Perlinger, Louisa Kramer, Mike P. Dziobak, Marian T. Ampadu, Shet Olsen, Don J. Wuebbles, and Lynn R. Mazzoleni, “Molecular characterization of free tropospheric aerosol collected at the Pico Mountain Observatory: a case study with long range transported biomass burning plumes”, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 15, 5047-5068, 2015
- B. V. Scarnato, S. China, K. Nielsen, and C. Mazzoleni, “Perturbations of the optical properties of mineral dust particles”, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 15, 6913-6928, 2015
- S. China, B. Scarnato, R. C. Owen, B. Zhang, M. T. Ampadu, S. Kumar, K. Dzepina, M. P. Dziobak, P. Fialho, J. A. Perlinger, J. Hueber, D. Helmig, L. R. Mazzoleni and C. Mazzoleni, “Morphology and Mixing State of Aged Soot Particles at a Remote Marine Free Troposphere Site: Implications for Optical Properties”, Geophysical Research Letters,42(4): 1243-1250, 2015
- X. Woodward, A. Kostinski, S. China, C. Mazzoleni, W. Cantrell, “Characterization of dust particles' 3D shape and roughness with nanometer resolution”, Aerosol Science and Technology, 49(4), 229-238, 2015
- Rajan Chakrabarty, Nicholas D., Beres, Hans Moosmüller, Swarup China, Claudio Mazzoleni, Manvendra K. Dubey, Li Liu, and Michael I. Mishchenko, “Soot superaggregates from flaming wildfires and their direct radiative forcing”, Scientific Reports, 4 : 5508, 2014
- Liu, L. and Nakamura, I., “Solvation Energy of Ions in Polymers: Effects of Chain Length and Connectivity on Saturated Dipoles Near Ions”, J. Phys. Chem. B, Accepted (2017), DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b00671
- Nakamura, I., “Spinodal Decomposition of a Polymer and Ionic liquid Mixture: Effects of Electrostatic Interactions and Hydrogen Bonds on Phase Instability”, Macromolecules, 49, 690-699 (2016)
- Ren, C., Nakamura, I., and Wang, Z.-G., “Effects of Ion-Induced Crosslinking on the Phase Behavior in Salt-Doped Polymer Blends”, Macromolecules, 49, 425-431 (2016)
- Chen, H.B. and Nakamura, I., “Effects of the Dielectric Response of Single-Component Liquids and Liquid Mixtures on Electrochemical Properties between Charged Plates”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, 24714–24723 (2015)
- Nakamura, I., “Dipolar Self-Consistent Field Theory for Ionic Liquids: Effects of Dielectric Inhomogeneity in Ionic Liquids between Charged Plates”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, 7086-7094 (2015)
- Duan, X. and Nakamura, I., “A New Lattice Monte Carlo Simulation for Dielectric Saturation in Ion-Containing Liquids”, Soft Matter, 11, 3566-3571 (2015)
- Nakamura, I., “Synergistic Effects of Ion Pairs on the Dielectric Properties of Diblock Copolymer Melts”, Soft Matter (Communication), 10, 9596-9600 (2014)
- Nakamura, I., “Ion Solvation in Polymer Blends and Block Copolymer Melts: Effects of Chain Length and Connectivity on the Reorganization of Dipoles”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 118, 5787-5796 (2014)
- Nakamura, I. and Wang, Z.-G., “Thermodynamics of Salt-Doped Block Copolymers”, ACS Macro Lett., 3, 708-711 (2014)
- Nakamura, I., Balsara N.P., and Wang, Z.-G., “First-Order Disordered-to-Lamellar Phase Transition in Lithium Salt-Doped Block Copolymers”, ACS Macro Lett., 2, 478-481 (2013).
- Nakamura, I. and Wang, Z.-G., “Effects of Dielectric Inhomogeneity in Polyelectrolyte Solutions”, Soft Matter, 9, 5686-5690 (2013)
- Nakamura, I., Shi, A.C., and Wang, Z.-G., “Ion Solvation in Liquid Mixtures: Effects of Solvent Reorganization”, Phys. Rev. Lett., 109, 257802 (2012)
- Nakamura, I. and Wang, Z.-G., “Salt-doped Block Copolymers: Ion Distribution, Domain Spacing and Effective Parameter”, Soft Matter, 8, 9356-9367 (2012)
- Nakamura, I., Balsara N.P., and Wang, Z.-G., “Thermodynamics of Ion-Containing Polymer Blends and Block Copolymers”, Phys. Rev. Lett., 107, 198301 (2011)
David F. Nitz
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Bounds on the density of sources of ultra-high energy cosmic rays from the Pierre Auger Observatory", JCAP.
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Identifying Clouds over the Pierre Auger Observatory using IR Satellite Data", Astroparticle Physics.
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Techniques for Measuring Aerosols using the Central Laser Facility at the Pierre Auger Observatory", JINST.
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Ultra-High Energy Neutrinos at the Pierre Auger Observatory", Advances in High Energy Physics. 708680, (March 2013). Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "The Interpretation of the Depths of Shower Maximum of Extensive Air Showers Measured by the Pierre Auger Observatory", JCAP. 2, 26, (2013).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "A Search for Point Sources of EeV Neutrons", Astrophysical Journal. 760, 148, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Constraints on the origin of cosmic rays above 10^18 eV from large scale anisotropy searches in data of the Pierre Auger Observatory", Ap. J. Letters. 762, L13, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "A search for anisotropy in the arrival directions of ultra- high energy cosmic rays recorded at the Pierre Auger Observatory", JCAP. 04, 40, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Description of Atmospheric Conditions at the Pierre Auger Observatory using the Global Data Assimilation System (GDAS)", Astroparticle Physics. 35, 591-607, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Search for signatures of magnetically-induced alignment in the arrival direction measured by the Pierre Auger Observatory", Astroparticle Physics. 35, 354, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Results of a self-triggered prototype system at the Pierre Auger Observatory for radio-detection of air showers induced by cosmic rays", JINST. 7, 11023, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Large scale distribution of arrival directions of cosmic rays detected above 10^18 eV at the Pierre Auger Observatory", Astrophysical Journal Supplement. 203, 34, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "The Rapid Atmospheric Monitoring System of the Pierre Auger Observatory" JINST. 7, 09001, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Measurement of the proton-air cross-section at sqrt(s)=57 TeV with the Pierre Auger Observatory", Phys. Rev. Lett., 109, 062002, (2012).
- Settimo, M., Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Measurement of the cosmic ray energy spectrum using hybrid events of the Pierre Auger Observatory", Eur. Phys. J. Plus. 127, 87, (2012).
- Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Search for pint-like sources of ultra-high energy neutrinos at the Pierre Auger Observatory and improved limit on the diffuse flux of tau neutrinos", Astrophysical Journal Letters. 755, 4, (2012).
- Horandel, J., Nitz, D. F., Auger Collaboration, "Nature and origin of very high-energy cosmic rays", Europhysics News. 43, 24, (2012).
- Full list of publications: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/pandey/publications.php Read More
- Gaoxue Wang, William J Slough, Ravindra Pandey, Shashi P Karna, "Degradation Of Phosphorene In Air: Understanding At Atomic Level", 2D Mater., 3, 25011 (2016)
- Zhoufei Wang, Haiying He, William Slough, Ravindra Pandey, Shashi P. Karna, "Nature Of Interaction Between Semiconducting Nanostructures And Biomolecules: Chalcogenide QDs And BNNT With DNA Molecules", J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, 25965 (2016)
- Gaoxue Wang, Ravindra Pandey, Shashi P. Karna, "Carbon Phosphide Monolayers With Superior Carrier Mobility", Nanoscale, 8, 8819 (2016)
- Gaoxue Wang, Ravindra Pandey, Shashi P. Karna, "Atomically Thin Group V Elemental Films: Theoretical Investigations Of Antimonene Allotropes", ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 7, 11490 (2015)
- G. C. Loh, Ravindra Pandey, "Versatile Electronic Properties Of Atomically Layered ScO2", J. Mater. Chem. C, 3, 6627 (2015)
- Gaoxue Wang, G. C. Loh, Ravindra Pandey, Shashi P. Karna, "Novel Two-Dimensional Silica Monolayers With Tetrahedral And Octahedral Configurations", J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, 15654 (2015)
- Dhungana, Kamal B; Jaishi, M.; Pati, R. "Unlocking the Origin of Superior Performance of a Si-Ge Core-Shell Nanowire Quantum Dot Field Effect Transistor" NANO LETTERS 16 (7), 3995 (2016). Read More
- Dhungana, Kamal B; Pati, R. "Fluorinated Boron Nitride Nanotube Quantum Dots: A Spin Filter" JOURNAL OF AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 136, 11494(2014) Read More
- Dhungana, Kamal B; Pati, R. "Giant amplification of tunnel magnetoresistance in a molecular junction: Molecular spin-valve transistor" APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 104, 16204 (2014). Read More
- Dhungana, K. B., Pati, R., "Switching of Conductance in a Molecular Wire: Role of Junction Geometry, Interfacial Distance, and Conformational Change", JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C 116, 17268, (2012). Read More
- Mandal, S., Pati, R., "What determines the sign reversal of magnetoresistance in a molecular tunnel junction?" ACS NANO 6, 3580, (2012). Read More
- Mandal,S; Pati, R. "Mechanism behind the switching of current induced by a gate field in a semiconducting nanowire junction" PHYSICAL REVIEW B 84, 115306 (2011). Read More
- Bandyopadhyay, A.; Pati, R.; Sahu, S.; Peper, F.; Fujita, D. "Massively parallel computing on an organic molecular layer" NATURE PHYSICS 6, 369 (2010) Read More
- Pati, R.; McClain, M.; Bandyopadhyay, A. "Origin of Negative Differential Resistance in a Strongly Coupled Single Molecule-Metal Junction Device" PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 100, 246801 (2008). Read More
- Pal, P. P; Pati, R. "Magnetic properties of one-dimensional Ni/Cu and Ni/Al multilayered nanowires: Role of nonmagnetic spacers" PHYSICAL REVIEW B 77 144430 (2008). Read More
- Senapati, L; Pati, R; Erwin, S. "Controlling spin-polarized electron transport through a molecule: The role of molecular conformation" PHYSICAL REVIEW B 76, 024438 (2007). Read More
- Panigrahi, P; Pati, R. "Tuning the ferromagnetism of one-dimensional Fe/Pt/Fe multilayer barcode nanowires via the barcode layer effect" PHYSICAL REVIEW B 76, 024431 (2007). Read More
- Wei, B. Q.; Shima, M.; Pati, R.; Nayak, S. K; Singh D. J; Ma R. Z.; Li Y. B.; Bando Y.; Nasu, S.; Ajayan, P. M. "Room-temperature ferromagnetism in doped face-centered cubic Fe nanoparticles" SMALL 2, 804 (2006). Read More
- He, H.Y.; Pandey, R.; Pati, R., Karna, S. P. "Spin-polarized electron transport of a self-assembled organic monolayer on a Ni(111) substrate: An organic spin switch" PHYSICAL REVIEW B 73, 195311 (2006). Read More
- Pati, R.; Karna, S. P. "Current switching by conformational change in a p-s-p molecular wire" PHYSICAL REVIEW B 69, 155419 (2004). Read More
- Pati. R.; Senapati, L.; Ajayan, P. M.; Nayak, S. K. "First principles calculations of spin-polarized electron transport in a molecular wire: Molecular spin valve" PHYSICAL REVIEW B (R) 68, 1004071 (2003). Read More
Warren F. Perger
- J.A. King, W.A. Pisani, D.R. Klimek-McDonald, W.F. Perger, G.M. Odegard, D.G. Turpeinen, “Shielding effectiveness of carbon-filled polypropylene composites”, Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 50 no. 16, 2016, 2177 – 2189
- J.A. King, W.A. Pisani, D.R. Klimek-McDonald, W.F. Perger, G.M. Odegard, “Shielding effectiveness of carbon-filled polycarbonate composites”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 132 no. 43, 2015, 42719
- C.L. Heldt, A.K. Sieloff, J.P. Merillat, A.R. Minerick, J.A. King, W.F. Perger, H. Fukushima, J. Narendra, “Stacked graphene nanoplatelet paper sensor for protein detection”, Sensors and Actuators B-Chemical, Vol. 181, 2013, 92 - 98
- I. Ahmed, W.F. Perger, S.A. Zekavat, “Effects of Ground Constituent Parameters on Array Mutual Coupling for DOA Estimation”, International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2011, 425913
- Ghous Narejo and W. F. Perger. First principles computation of second-order elastic constants and equations of state for tetragonal BaTiO3. Chem. Phys. Lett., 2010. (accepted for publication).
- Warren F. Perger. First-principles calculation of second-order elastic constants and equations of state for lithium azide, LiN3, and lead azide, Pb(N3)2. Int. J. Quant. Chem., 110:1916–1922, 2010.
- Warren F. Perger, J. Criswell, B. Civalleri, and R. Dovesi. Ab-initio calculation of elastic constants of crystalline systems with the CRYSTAL code. Comput. Phys. Commun., 180:1753–1759, 2009.
Raymond A. Shaw
- Chandrakar, K. K., W. Cantrell, K. Chang, D. Ciochetto, D. Niedermeier, M. Ovchinnikov, R. A. Shaw, and F. Yang, 2016: Aerosol indirect effect from turbulence-induced broadening of droplet size distributions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 113, 14243-14248. Read More
- Beals, M. J., J. P. Fugal, R. A. Shaw, J. Lu, S. M. Spuler, and J. L. Stith, 2015: Holographic measurements of inhomogeneous cloud mixing at the centimeter scale. Science, 350, 87-90. Read More
- Gurganus, C. W., J. C. Charnawskas, A. B. Kostinski, and R. A. Shaw, 2014: Nucleation at the contact line observed on nanotextured surfaces. Physical Review Letters, 113, 235701. Read More
- Yang, F., M. Ovchinnikov, and R. A. Shaw, 2013: Minimalist model of ice microphysics in mixed-phase stratiform clouds. Geophysical Research Letters, 40, doi:10.1002/grl.50700. Read More
- Kumar, B., F. Janetzko, J. Schumacher, and R. A. Shaw, 2012: Extreme responses of a coupled scalar-particle system during turbulent mixing. New Journal of Physics, 14, 115020. Read More
- Ditas, F., R. A. Shaw, H. Siebert, M. Simmel, B. Wehner, and A. Wiedensohler, 2012: Aerosols-cloud microphysics-thermodynamics-turbulence: evaluating supersaturation in a marine stratocumulus cloud. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 2459-2468. Read More
- Gurganus, C., A. B. Kostinski, and R. A. Shaw, 2011: Fast imaging of freezing drops: No preference for nucleation at the contact line. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2, 1449-1454. Read More
- Niedermeier, D., R. A. Shaw, S. Hartmann, H. Wex, T. Clauss, J. VoigtlÃ¤nder, and F. Stratmann, 2011: Heterogeneous ice nucleation: Exploring the transition from stochastic to singular freezing behavior. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11, 8767-8775. Read More
- Bodenschatz, E., S. P. Malinowski, R. A. Shaw, and F. Stratmann, 2010: Can we understand clouds without turbulence? Science, 327, 970-971. Read More
- Kostinski, A. B., and R. A. Shaw, 2009: Raindrops, large and small. Nature Physics, 5, 624-625. Read More
- Lehmann, K., H. Siebert, and R. A. Shaw, 2009: Homogeneous and inhomogeneous mixing in cumulus clouds: Dependence on local turbulence structure. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 66, 3641-3659. Read More
Bryan H. Suits
- "93Nb NMR study of the charge density wave state in NbSe2," K Ghoshray, B Pahari, A Goshray, V V Eremenko, V A Sirenko, and B H Suits, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 21, 155701 (2009). Read More
- "The hanging cord with a real tip mass," J. S. Deschaine and B. H. Suits, European Journal of Physics 29, 1211-1222 (2008). Read More
- "Spin 3/2 Zeeman perturbed NQR in the presence of slow sample rotation," R. P. Panguluri and B. H. Suits, Journal of Magnetic Resonance 182, 49-54 (2006). Read More
- "Nuclear Quadrupole Resonance Spectroscopy," B. H. Suits, in Handbook of Applied Solid State Spectroscopy, D.R. Vij, ed., Springer (2006), ISBN-10 0-387-32497-6 Read More
- "Long Pendulums in Gravitational Gradients". B. H. Suits, European Journal of Physics 27, L7-L11 (2006). Read More
- "The Noise Immunity of Gradiometer Coils for 14N NQR Land Mine Detection: Practical Limitations," B. H. Suits, Applied Magnetic Resonance 25, 371-382 (2004). Read More
- "Optimizing surface coils and the self-shielded gradiometer," B. H. Suits and A. N. Garroway, Journal of Applied Physics 94, 4171-4178 (2003). Read More
Yoke Khin Yap
- (Review) Mingxiao Ye, Dongyan Zhang, Yoke Khin Yap, “Recent Advances in Electronic and Optoelectronic Devices Based on Two-Dimensional Transition Metal Dichalcogenides,” Electronics 6, 43 (2017). Read More
- (Review) Chee Huei Lee, Bishnu Tiwari, Dongyan Zhang, Yoke Khin Yap, “Water purification: oil–water separation by nanotechnology and environmental concerns,” Environmental Science: Nano 4, 514-525 (2017). Read More
- (Review) Chee Huei Lee, Shiva Bhandari, Bishnu Tiwari, Nazmiye Yapici, Dongyan Zhang, Yoke Khin Yap, “Boron Nitride Nanotubes: Recent Advances in Their Synthesis, Functionalization, and Applications,” Molecules 21, 922 (2016) Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap and Dongyan Zhang "Chemical Vapor Deposition," in Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology, B. Bhushan (ed.) Continuously updated edition, pp 1-7 (Springer 2016, ISBN: 978-94-007-6178-0).
- Yoke Khin Yap and Dongyan Zhang "Physical Vapor Deposition," in Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology, B. Bhushan (ed.) Continuously updated edition, pp 1-8 (Springer 2016, ISBN: 978-94-007-6178-0). Read More
- (Review) S. Bhandari, B. Tiwari, N. Yapici, D. Zhang, Y. K. Yap, "Introduction to Boron Nitride Nanotubes: Synthesis, Properties, Functionalization, and Cutting," Chapter 1 in Boron Nitride Nanotubes in Nanomedicine, Ed G. Ciofani and V. Mattoli (Elsevier, 2016, ISBN: 978-0-323-38945-7) Read More
- A. Balram, S. Santhanagopalan, B. Hao, Y. K. Yap, D. D. Meng, "Electrophoretically-Deposited Metal-Decorated CNT Nanoforests with High Thermal/Electric Conductivity and Wettability Tunable from Hydrophilic to Superhydrophobic," Advanced Functional Materials 26, 2571-2579 (2016). Read More
- (Review) B. Hao, C. H. Lee, J. Wang, A. Asthana, D. Winslow, D. Zhang, and Y. K. Yap, “Controlled Synthesis of Functional Boron Nitride Nanostructures for Applications,” Chapter 20 in Nanotubes and Nanosheets: Functionalization and Applications of Boron Nitride and Other Nanomaterials, (CRC Press) Ed. Ying (Ian) Chen, pp 551-572 (2015). Read More
- Ajay Kumar, Pin Ann Lin, Albert Xue, Boyi Hao, Yoke Khin Yap, R. Mohan Sankaran, "Formation of nanodiamonds at near-ambient conditions via microplasma dissociation of ethanol vapour" Nature Communications 4, Article number:2618 (2013) Read More
- Chee Huei Lee , Shengyong Qin , Madhusudan A. Savaikar , Jiesheng Wang , Boyi Hao , Dongyan Zhang , Douglas Banyai , John A. Jaszczak , Kendal W. Clark , Juan-Carlos Idrobo , An-Ping Li , and Yoke Khin Yap, "Room-Temperature Tunneling Behavior of Boron Nitride Nanotubes Functionalized with Gold Quantum Dots," Advanced Materials 25, 2544 (2013) Read More
- Archana Pandey, Abhishek Prasad, Jason P. Moscatello, Mark Engelhard, Chongmin Wang, Yoke Khin Yap, "Very Stable Electron Field Emission from Strontium Titanate Coated Carbon Nanotube Matrices with Low Emission Thresholds," ACS Nano 7, 117 (2013). Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), "Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene and Related Nanostructures," Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1407 (Cambridge University Press, July 2012, ISBN: 978-1-60511-384-5) Read More
- Archana Pandey, Abhishek Prasad, Jason Moscatello, Yoke Khin Yap, "Stable Electron Field Emission from PMMA-CNT Matrices," ACS Nano 4, 6760 (2010). Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), "Nanotubes and Related Nanostructures-2009," Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1204 (Cambridge University Press, 2010, ISBN: 978-1-60511-177-3) Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), "B-C-N Nanotubes and Related Nanostructures," Lecture Notes in Nanoscale Science and Technology (Springer) Vol. 6 (2009) Approx. 310 pages, 159 illustrations, 32 in color, Hardcover. Read More
- Abhishek Prasad, Samuel Mensah, Zheng Wei Pan, and Yoke Khin Yap, “Alternative Nanostructured Sensors: Nanowires, Nanobelts, and Novel Nanostructures,” in Chapter 4 of Sensors Based on Nanostructured Materials, Francisco J. Arregui (Ed.), Springer, pp. 59-78 (2009). Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), “Nanotubes and Related Nanostructures,” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1057 (Cambridge University Press 2008). Read More
- J. Wang, V. Kayastha, Y. K. Yap, Z. Fan, J. G. Lu, Z. Pan, I. Ivanov, A. A. Purezky, D. B. Geohegan, “Low temperature growth of boron nitride nanotubes on substrates,” Nano Letters.5, 2528 (2005). Read More