The focus of the graduate program in the Department of Physics is on the PhD in Physics. Students are generally admitted into the department's graduate program based on an assessment of their ability to succeed as doctoral students.
The Michigan Tech Graduate School collects all student applications. Visit their How to Apply page when you're ready to proceed with the application process. There is no cost to apply to the Graduate School.
Students should be uploading their required materials on their personalized MyMichiganTech website.
Applications are reviewed on an individual basis using a holistic approach.
- Admissions Requirements
- Admissions Procedures
- Graduate Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Official Transcripts
- GRE: Recommended quantitative score of 156 (720) and analytical score of 3.0 or higher
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Admitted applicants typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
Atmospheric Sciences Students
Additional requirements for Atmospheric Sciences applicants:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in the physical sciences or engineering
- Prerequisite: Mathematics through ordinary differential equations
- TOEFL: Recommended score of 88 iBT
- IELTS: Recommended band of 6.5
Apply at least a semester in advance of projected admission to improve your chances of receiving funding. Deadline for the Fall Semester: March 1 (January 15 recommended for international applicants)