- The program can be completed entirely online.
- At the end of this program students will be familiar with healthcare terms, various medical models, evidence-based medicine, and clinical practice guidelines.
- Employment in this field is growing faster than the national average. Students with a Medical Informatics MS degree can pursue careers such as chief information office, clinical informaticist, healthcare administrator, or medical health service manager.
GRADUATE PROGRAMS IN MEDICAL INFORMATICS
Medical informatics is the intersection of information science, computer science, and healthcare. This field deals with the resources, devices, and methods required to optimize the acquisition, storage, retrieval, and use of information in health and biomedicine. This program will cover the multi-disciplinary field of medical informatics including medical decision support systems, telemedicine, medical ethics, consumer health informatics, international healthcare systems, global health informatics, translational research informatics, and home care. Our program focuses on complex medical decisions, evidence-based medicine, disease management, and comprehensive laboratory informatics. Students will learn how to design and implement innovative applications, and promote new technologies to improve healthcare.
Established regulations such as the Health Insurance Portability and Act (HIPAA) include specific security and compliance provisions for the healthcare sector. The advancement of technology in the medical field, accompanied by the requirements to keep sensitive data confidential, creates the need for employees with an advanced medical informatics and data security education.
The Master of Science in Medical Informatics is designed to:
- Deepen students' understanding and knowledge of medical informatics and computer/information security;
- Provide students with research opportunities within the field of medical informatics;
- Provide a flexible curriculum to allow for both traditional and nontraditional graduate students.
Graduates of this program will be qualified in areas such as hospital and healthcare systems, health informatics firms, research laboratories, computer/information security firms, medical technology firms, public health organizations, medical software companies, insurance companies, and government organizations. They will also be qualified for several job opportunities in the fields of pharmacy, the biomedical industry, dentistry, clinical care, and nursing.