- MEEM 820
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Dr. Mohammad Rastgaar-Aagah is an associate professor in the Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics Department at Michigan Technological University since 2011. Dr. Rastgaar received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Virginia Tech in 2008. He was a post-doctoral associate in the Newman Laboratory for Biomechanics and Human Rehabilitation at MIT. Dr. Rastgaar is a recipient of 2014 NSF CAREER award.
Dr. Rastgaar is the founding director of the Human-Interactive Robotics Lab (HIRoLab) at Michigan Tech. The research at the HIRoLab is focused on the development of lower extremity assistive and rehabilitation devices for enhanced agility and improved mobility. The research goal at the HIRoLab is to further the critical understanding about the dynamics of gait, especially during different maneuvers, through experiments with human subjects and modeling.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Dynamics and Controls
- System Identification
- Human-Robot Interactions
- Prosthetic Robots
- Assistive and Rehabilitation Robotics
- Augmenting Agility of Locomotion
- Biomechanics of Gait
- Ficanha E. M., Ribeiro G., Rastgaar M., “Design and Evaluation of a 2-Dof Instrumented Platform for Estimation of the Ankle Mechanical Impedance in the Sagittal and Frontal Planes”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 21(5), 2531-2542, 2016.
- Ficanha E. M., Ribeiro G., Dallali H., Rastgaar M., “Design and Preliminary Evaluation of a Two DOFs Cable-Driven Ankle–Foot Prosthesis with Active Dorsiflexion–Plantarflexion and Inversion–Eversion”, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 4(36), 2016.
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., Kaufman K. R., “Cable Driven Two Degrees of Freedom Ankle-Foot Prosthesis”, Technical brief in Journal of Medical Devices, 10(3), 0309021-2, 2016.
- Ficanha E. M., Ribeiro G., Rastgaar Aagaah M., “Mechanical Impedance of the Non-loaded Lower Leg with Relaxed Muscles in the Transverse Plane”, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 3(192), 2015.
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., Kaufman K. R., “Ankle Mechanics during Sidestep Cutting Implicates Need for 2-DOF Powered Ankle-foot Prostheses”, JRRD - Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, 52(1), 2015.
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., Kaufman K. R., “Control of a 2-DOF powered ankle-foot mechanism”, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2015), Seattle, WA, May 25 – 30, 2015.
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., Kaufman K. R., “Gait Emulator for Evaluation of Ankle-Foot Prostheses Capable of Turning”, Technical Brief in ASME Journal of Medical Devices, 9(3), 0309081-2, 2015.
- Rastgaar Aagaah, Mohammad, Lee, Hyunglae, Ficanha, Evandro, Ho, Patrick, Krebs, Hermano Igo, Hogan, Neville, "Multi-Directional Dynamic Mechanical Impedance of the Human Ankle; a Key to Anthropomorphism in Lower Extremity Assistive Robots," Neuro-Robotics: From Brain Machine Interfaces to Rehabilitation Robotics, Ed. Artemiadis, Springer, July 2014, pp. 157-178, ISBN-13: 978-9401789318