- MEEM 820
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Dr. Mohammad Rastgaar-Aagah is an associate professor in the Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics Department at Michigan Technological University since 2011. Dr. Rastgaar received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Virginia Tech in 2008. He was a post-doctoral associate in the Newman Laboratory for Biomechanics and Human Rehabilitation at MIT. Dr. Rastgaar is a recipient of 2014 NSF CAREER award.
Dr. Rastgaar is the founding director of the Human-Interactive Robotics Lab (HIRoLab) at Michigan Tech. The research at the HIRoLab is focused on the development of lower extremity assistive and rehabilitation devices for enhanced agility and improved mobility. The research goal at the HIRoLab is to further the critical understanding about the dynamics of gait, especially during different maneuvers, through experiments with human subjects and modeling.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Dynamics and Controls
- System Identification
- Human-Robot Interactions
- Prosthetic Robots
- Assistive and Rehabilitation Robotics
- Augmenting Agility of Locomotion
- Biomechanics of Gait
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., Kaufman K. R., “Ankle Mechanics during Sidestep Cutting Implicates Need for 2-DOF Powered Ankle-foot Prostheses”, JRRD - Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, 52(1), 2015.
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., Kaufman K. R., “Control of a 2-DOF powered ankle-foot mechanism”, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2015), Seattle, WA, May 25 – 30, 2015.
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., Kaufman K. R., “Gait Emulator for Evaluation of Ankle-Foot Prostheses Capable of Turning”, 2015 Design of Medical Devices Conference (DMD 2015), Minneapolis, MN, April 13-16, 2015.
- Rastgaar Aagaah, Mohammad, Lee, Hyunglae, Ficanha, Evandro, Ho, Patrick, Krebs, Hermano Igo, Hogan, Neville, "Multi-Directional Dynamic Mechanical Impedance of the Human Ankle; a Key to Anthropomorphism in Lower Extremity Assistive Robots," Neuro-Robotics: From Brain Machine Interfaces to Rehabilitation Robotics, Ed. Artemiadis, Springer, July 2014, pp. 157-178, ISBN-13: 978-9401789318
- Ficanha, Evandro, Rastgaar Aagaah, Mohammad, Kaufman, Kenton R., "Multi-axis Capability for Powered Ankle-foot Prostheses," Neuro-Robotics: From Brain Machine Interfaces to Rehabilitation Robotics, Ed. Artemiadis, Springer, July 2014, pp. 85-103, ISBN-13: 978-9401789318
- Lee, H., Ho, P., Rastgaar Aagaah, M., Krebs, H. I., and Hogan, N., “Multivariable Static Ankle Mechanical Impedance with Active Muscles,” IEEE Transaction on Neural Systems & Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol. 22(1) pp. 44-52, 2014.
- Ficanha, Evandro, Rastgaar Aagaah, Mohammad, Kaufman, Kenton, "A Two-axis Cable-driven Ankle-foot Mechanism," Robotics and Biomimetics Special Issue on Medical Robotics, Online Nov 2014, Vol.1, No. 17, pp. 1-13, DOI: 10.1186/s40638-014-0017-0
- Ficanha E. M., Rastgaar Aagaah M., “Impedance and Admittance Controller for a Multi-axis Powered Ankle-foot Prosthesis”, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSCC), San Antonio, TX, October 22-24, 2014.