Michele H. Miller
- MEEM 810
Associate Professor, Associate Chair and Director of
Undergraduate Studies, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Adjunct Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
Peace Corps Master's International Coordinator
Engineering Education Innovation Research Group Director
- PhD, North Carolina State University
Dr. Miller has used analytical and experimental methods to develop models for the grinding of brittle materials. The goal is to develop techniques that improve material removal rates for the machining of brittle materials. Specifically, she and her students have investigated vibration assisted grinding and water-jet assisted grinding, as well as wheel wear and wheel loading mechanisms. Additional research interests include machine tool dynamics, optical micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS), and human factors in design.
Links of Interest
- Vibration assisted grinding and water-jet assisted grinding
- Wheel wear and wheel loading mechanisms
- Machining of ceramics
- Machine tool dynamics
- Optical micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS)
- Human factors in design
Areas of Expertise
- Precision Engineering
- Human Factors
- Miller, M. H., J. A. Perrault, G. G. Parker, B. P. Bettig and T. G. Bifano, “Simple models for piston type micromirror behavior,” J. Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2006, pp. 303-313.
- Lee, H., M. H. Miller and T. G. Bifano, “CMOS Chip Planarization by Chemical Mechanical Polishing for a Vertically Stacked Metal MEMS Integration,” J Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 14, No. 1, 2004, pp. 108-115.
- Salisbury, E. J., K. V. Domala, K. S. Moon, M. H. Miller and J. W. Sutherland, “A Three Dimensional Model for the Surface Texture in Surface Grinding, Part 2—Grinding Wheel Model,” Journal of Mfg Sci. and Engineering, Vol. 123, No. 4, 2001, pp. 582-590.
- Qu, W., K. Wang, M. H. Miller, Y. Huang and A. Chandra, “Using Vibration Assisted Grinding to Reduce Subsurface Damage,” Precision Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2000, pp. 329-337