John K. Gershenson
- MEEM 1022
Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Peace Corps Master's International Coordinator
- PhD, University of Idaho
Dr. Gershenson performs research in the area of life-cycle engineering. Specific research interests include: life-cycle design, environmentally conscious design, design for manufacturability, decision-based design, modular product design, industrial ecology, agile manufacturing processes, design for post-manufacturing issues, lean manufacturing, and lean product development.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Life-Cycle Engineering
- Modular Product Architecture
- Lean Engineering
- Sustainable Product Design
- Life-cycle design
- Modular product and process architectures
- Sustainable product/process design
- Lean manufacturing
- Lean engineering
- Design for post-manufacturing issues
- Mechanisms of innovation
- John Gershenson, Ye, X. , "Focused Product Family Design Based on the Commonality and Variety Tradeoff," International Journal of Mass Customisation, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 179-207, 2009-01-00
- John Gershenson, Ye, X., Thevenot, H., Alizon, F., Khadke, K., Simpson, T.W., and Shooter, S., "Using Product Family Evaluation Graphs in Product Family Design," International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 47, No. 13, pp. 3559-3585, 2009-01-00
- John Gershenson, Ye, X., Thevenot, H.J., Alizon, F., Khadke, K., Simpson, T.W., and Shooter, S.B., "Attribute-based Clustering Methodology for Product Family Design," Journal of Engineering Design, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 571-586, 2008-12-00
- John Gershenson, X. Lai, "Representation of Similarity and Dependency for Assembly Modularity ," The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 37, Numbers 7-8, pp. 803-827, 2008-06-00
- F. Guo and J.K. Gershenson (2006). “Discovering Relationships between Modularity and Cost.” Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Volume 17, No. 1.
- Pavnaskar, S.J. and J.K. Gershenson (2005). “Application of Value Stream Mapping to Lean Engineering.” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Volume 8, No. 1.
- X. Ye, J.K. Gershenson, K. Khadke, X. Lai, F. Guo (2005). “An Introduction to Product Family Evaluation Graphs.” Proceedings of the 2005 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences – 17th International Conference on Design Theory and Methodology, Long Beach, California, September.
- Gershenson, J.K., G.J. Prasad, and Y. Zhang (2004). “Product Modularity: Measures and Methods.” Journal of Engineering Design, Volume 15, Number 1.