- MEEM 807
- Richard and Bonnie Robbins Chair, Professor, Associate Chair and Director of Graduate Studies, Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Mechanics
- Director, Multi-Scale Technologies Institute (MuSTI)
- PhD, Oklahoma State University
Craig Friedrich is the Robbins Professor of Sustainable Manufacturing and has been on the faculty of the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics for twenty years, after serving on the faculty at Louisiana Tech University for ten years. He serves as Associate Chair and Director of Graduate Studies in the department and directs the Multi-Scale Technologies Institute. Friedrich holds a BSME and an MSME from Louisiana Tech University, and a PhD from Oklahoma State University.
Friedrich’s research generally focuses on mechanical micromachining and nanofabrication for health and energy. In the 1990s, he pioneered the field of mechanical micromilling, making and using milling tools one-quarter of the diameter of a hair in size. Friedrich is currently working on nanotexturing orthopedic implant surfaces to promote cell growth, bone adhesion, and inhibit infection. This work, and earlier research on applications of electro-optical proteins in sensing and nanoelectronics have been issued patents. Friedrich received the Paul A. Siple Award for this work, the highest recognition for research bestowed by the US Army. His research is based on the diversity of the field of mechanical engineering and a commitment to lifelong learning.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Micromechanical Systems
- Micromechanical machining processes
- Microsystem design
- Zhao, Yu, Xing, Qi, Janjanam, Jagadeesh, He, Kun, Long, Fei, Low, Ke-Bin, Tiwari, Ashutosh, Zhao, Feng, Shahbazian Yassar, Reza, Friedrich, Craig R., Shokuhfar, Tolou, "Facile Electrochemical Synthesis of Antimicrobial TiO2 Nanotube Arrays," International Journal of Nanomedicine , Online Nov 2014, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 5177-5187, DOI: 10.2147/IJN.S65386 Read More
- Chang, Jen-Yung, Wang, Shuo, Allen, Jeffrey S., Lee, Seong Hyuk, Chang, Suk Tai, Choi, Young-Ki, Friedrich, Craig R., Choi, Chang Kyoung, "A Novel Miniature Dynamic Cell Culture Platform using Electro-Osmosis Diode Pumping", Biomicrofluidics, Aug 2014, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 0444116, DOI:10.1063/1.4892894 Read More
- Shokuhfar, Tolou, Hamlekhan, Azhang, Chang, Jen-Yung., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Sukotjo, Cortino, Friedrich, Craig R., "Biophysical Evaluation of Cells on Nanotubular Surfaces: The Effects of Atomic Ordering and Chemistry," International Journal of Nanomedicine, Online Aug 2014, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 3737-3748, DOI: 10.2147/IJN.S67344 Read More
- Dingeldein, Joseph C., Kruse, Kevin L., Demars, Casey, Middlebrook, Christopher T., Friedrich, Craig R., Roggemann, Michael C., 2013, “Optical-electrical Printed Wiring Board for High-speed Computing Applications,” Optical Engineering, Vol. 52 (3), 2013, Article No. 035201, DOI: 10.1117/1.OE.52.3.035201.
- Dingeldein, Joseph C., Walczak, Karl A., Swatowski, Brandon W., Friedrich, Craig R., Middlebrook, Christopher T., Roggemann, Michael C., 2013, “Process Characterization for Direct Dispense Fabrication of Polymer Optical Multi-mode Waveguides,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 23 (7), Article No. 075015, 9 pages, DOI: 10.1088/0960-1317/23/7/075015.
- Friedrich, Craig R., Zhong, Xiaoliang, Slough, William, and Pandey, Ravindra, 2012, "Interaction of Nucleobases with Silicon Nanowires: A First-principles Study," Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 553, pp. 55-58.
- Friedrich, Craig R., Griep, Mark H., Winder, Eric M., Lueking, Donald R., Garrett, Gregory A., and Karna, Shashi P., 2012, "Forster Resonance Energy Transfer between Core/Shell Quantum Dots and Bacteriorhodopsin," Molecular Biology International, Vol. 2012, Article ID 910707, 7 pages.
- Friedrich, Craig, An, Libao, 2012, "Measurement of Contact Resistance of Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes by Electrical Contact Using a Focused Ion Beam," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, Vol. 272, pp. 169-172.
- Friedrich, Craig, Shahbazian Yassar, Reza, Shokuhfar, Tolou, Asthana, A., Gao, Q., Heiden, P.A., 2012, "Deformation-Driven Electrical Transport in Amorphous TiO2 Nanotubes," Applied Physics A, Vol. 109, No. 1, pp. 127-132.
- Craig Friedrich, Daw Don Cheam, K. Walczak, M. Acharya, "Leakage Current in Single Electron Device due to Implanted Gallium Dopants by Focused Ion Beam," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 88, No. 8, pp. 1906-1909, 2011-08-00
- Craig Friedrich, R. Tewari, "Patterning PLA Packaging Films for Implantable Medical Devices," Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 5, No. 2, Article ID 027522, 1 page, 2011-07-13
- Craig Friedrich, Chang Kyoung Choi, Tolou Shokuhfar, D.H. Shin, S-H. Lee, "Wettability Changes of TiO2 Nanotube Surfaces," Nanotechnology, Vol. 22, No. 31, Article ID 315704, 7 pages, 2011-07-05
- Craig Friedrich, K. A. Walczak, Paul L. Bergstrom, "Light Sensor Platform Based on the Integration of Bacteriorhodopsin with a Single Electron Transistor," Active and Passive Electronic Components, Vol. 2011, Article ID 586924, 7 Pages, 2011-04-06
- Craig Friedrich, T. Swanson, C. Cheng, "The Development of Chitosan-vancomycin Antimicrobial Coatings on Titanium Implants," Journal of Biomedical Materials Part A, Vol. 97A, No. 2, pp. 167-176, 2011-00-00
- Craig Friedrich, Reza Shahbazian Yassar, Anjana Asthana, Tolou Shokuhfar, Qi Gao, Patricia A. Heiden, "A Real Time Observation of Phase Transition of Anatase TiO2 Nanotubes into Rutile Nanoparticles by in situ Joule Heating Inside Transmission Electron Microscope," Advanced Science Letters, Volume 16, Supplement S2 , 2010-12-00
- Craig Friedrich, Karna, Shashi, Lueking, Donald, Mallick, Govind, Winder, Eric, Griep, Mark, "Optical Protein Modulation via Quantum Dot Coupling and Use of A Hybrid Sensor Protein," Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Volume 10, Number 9, pp. 6029-6035, 2010-09-01
- Craig Friedrich, Reza Shahbazian Yassar, A. Asthana, T. Shokuhfar, Q. Gao, P. Heiden, "A Study on the Modulation of the Electrical Transport by Mechanical Straining of Individual Titanium Dioxide Nanotube," Applied Physics Letters, Volume 97, Issue 7, ELECTRONIC TRANSPORT AND SEMICONDUCTORS , 2010-08-01
- Craig Friedrich, M. Griep, K. Walczak, C. Anton, E. Winder, D. Lueking, "Quantum Dot Enhancement of Bacteriorhodopsin-Based Electrodes," Journal: Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol. 25, Issue 6, 2010-02-00
- Craig Friedrich, Reza Shahbazian Yassar, Arumugam G.K., Heiden P.A., "Direct Compressive Measurements of Individual Titanium Dioxide Nanotubes," ACS Nano, 2009, 3 (10), pp 3098-3102, 2009-09-00
- Craig Friedrich, An. L., "Process Parameters and Their Relations for the Dielectrophoretic Assembly of Carbon Nanotubes," Journal of Applied Physics- Nanoscale Science and Design, Vol. 105, No. 7, Article 074314, 7 pages, 2009-04-00
- Craig Friedrich, J. Z. Wallner, N. Nagar, P. L. Bergstrom, "Macro Porous Silicon as Pump Media for Electro-Osmotic Pumps," Physica Status Solidi (a) - Applications and Materials Science, Vol. 204, No.5, pp.1327 - 1331, 2009-03-24
- Craig Friedrich, An, L. , Cheam, D., "Controlled Dielectrophoretic Assembly of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes," The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 113, No. 1, pp 37-39, 2009-00-00
- Craig Friedrich, Kensall D., Wise, K., Pamela T. Bhatti, P., and Wang, J., "High-density Cochlear Implants with Position Sensing and Control," Hearing Research- Special Issue Frontiers of Auditory Prosthesis Research: Implications for Clinical Practice, Vol. 242, Nos.1-2, pp. 22-30, 2008-08-00
- Craig Friedrich, An, L. , "Real-time Gap Impedance Monitoring of Dielectrophoretic Assembly of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes," Applied Physics Letters, Vol.92, No. 17, Article No. 173103, 2008-04-00
- Friedrich,C, Avula,R, Gugale,S, “A Fluid Microconnector Seal for Packaging Applications,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 15, 2005, pp.1115-1124.
- Friedrich,C and Kulkarni,V, “Effect of Springback on Micromilling Forces,” Microsystems Technology Journal, Vol. 10, No. 6-7, 2004, pp. 472-477.
- Arcand,B, Butala,N, Friedrich,C, “Design and Modeling of an Active Positioning Device for a Perimodular Cochlear Electrode Array,” Microsystems Technology Journal, Vol. 10, No. 6-7, 2004, pp.478-483.
- Li,J, Friedrich,C, Keynton,R, “Design and Fabrication of a Miniaturized, Integrated, High Frequency Acoustical Lens-Transducer System,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 12, No. 3, May 2002, pp.219-228.
- Friedrich,C, “Micromechanical Machining of High Aspect Ratio Prototypes,” Microsystems Technology Journal, Vol. 8, No. 4/5, May 2002, pp.343-347.
- Friedrich, CR, "Near-Cryogenic Machining of Polymethyl Methacrylate for Micromilling Tool Development," Journal of Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp.667-678, 2001.
- Friedrich, CR, Keynton, R, Vasile, M, and Warrington, R, "Development of a Core Curriculum in Miniaturization Technologies," Journal of Engineering Education 1998 Supplement, pp.567-574.