- MEEM 807
- Richard & Bonnie Robbins Chair, Professor, Associate Chair and
Director of Graduate Studies, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- Director, Multi-Scale Technologies Institute (MuSTI)
- PhD, Oklahoma State University
Craig Friedrich is the Robbins Professor of Sustainable Manufacturing and has been on the faculty of the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics for twenty years, after serving on the faculty at Louisiana Tech University for ten years. He serves as Associate Chair and Director of Graduate Studies in the department and directs the Multi-Scale Technologies Institute. Friedrich holds a BSME and an MSME from Louisiana Tech University, and a PhD from Oklahoma State University.
Friedrich’s research generally focuses on mechanical micromachining and nanofabrication for health and energy. In the 1990s, he pioneered the field of mechanical micromilling, making and using milling tools one-quarter of the diameter of a hair in size. Friedrich is currently working on nanotexturing orthopedic implant surfaces to promote cell growth, bone adhesion, and inhibit infection. This work, and earlier research on applications of electro-optical proteins in sensing and nanoelectronics have been issued patents. Friedrich received the Paul A. Siple Award for this work, the highest recognition for research bestowed by the US Army. His research is based on the diversity of the field of mechanical engineering and a commitment to lifelong learning.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Micromechanical Systems
- Micromechanical machining processes
- Microsystem design
- Zhao, Yu, Xing, Qi, Janjanam, Jagadeesh, He, Kun, Long, Fei, Low, Ke-Bin, Tiwari, Ashutosh, Zhao, Feng, Shahbazian Yassar, Reza, Friedrich, Craig R., Shokuhfar, Tolou, "Facile Electrochemical Synthesis of Antimicrobial TiO2 Nanotube Arrays," International Journal of Nanomedicine , Online Nov 2014, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 5177-5187, DOI: 10.2147/IJN.S65386 Read More
- Chang, Jen-Yung, Wang, Shuo, Allen, Jeffrey S., Lee, Seong Hyuk, Chang, Suk Tai, Choi, Young-Ki, Friedrich, Craig R., Choi, Chang Kyoung, "A Novel Miniature Dynamic Cell Culture Platform using Electro-Osmosis Diode Pumping", Biomicrofluidics, Aug 2014, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 0444116, DOI:10.1063/1.4892894 Read More
- Shokuhfar, Tolou, Hamlekhan, Azhang, Chang, Jen-Yung., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Sukotjo, Cortino, Friedrich, Craig R., "Biophysical Evaluation of Cells on Nanotubular Surfaces: The Effects of Atomic Ordering and Chemistry," International Journal of Nanomedicine, Online Aug 2014, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 3737-3748, DOI: 10.2147/IJN.S67344 Read More
- Dingeldein, Joseph C., Kruse, Kevin L., Demars, Casey, Middlebrook, Christopher T., Friedrich, Craig R., Roggemann, Michael C., 2013, “Optical-electrical Printed Wiring Board for High-speed Computing Applications,” Optical Engineering, Vol. 52 (3), 2013, Article No. 035201, DOI: 10.1117/1.OE.52.3.035201.
- Dingeldein, Joseph C., Walczak, Karl A., Swatowski, Brandon W., Friedrich, Craig R., Middlebrook, Christopher T., Roggemann, Michael C., 2013, “Process Characterization for Direct Dispense Fabrication of Polymer Optical Multi-mode Waveguides,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 23 (7), Article No. 075015, 9 pages, DOI: 10.1088/0960-1317/23/7/075015.
- Friedrich, Craig R., Zhong, Xiaoliang, Slough, William, and Pandey, Ravindra, 2012, "Interaction of Nucleobases with Silicon Nanowires: A First-principles Study," Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 553, pp. 55-58.
- Friedrich, Craig R., Griep, Mark H., Winder, Eric M., Lueking, Donald R., Garrett, Gregory A., and Karna, Shashi P., 2012, "Forster Resonance Energy Transfer between Core/Shell Quantum Dots and Bacteriorhodopsin," Molecular Biology International, Vol. 2012, Article ID 910707, 7 pages.
- Friedrich, Craig, An, Libao, 2012, "Measurement of Contact Resistance of Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes by Electrical Contact Using a Focused Ion Beam," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, Vol. 272, pp. 169-172.