Chang Kyoung Choi
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Mechanics
- Affiliated Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Advisor, Korean Student Association
- PhD, Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering, University of Tennessee
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Chungang University
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Chungang University
Dr. Chang Kyoung (CK) Choi is an associate professor of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University. Prior to this appointment in 2009, he was a post-doctoral researcher at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) from Jan. 2008 to Dec. 2008. He received his B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Chung-ang University in 1999 and 2001, respectively. He received a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville in 2007. Right after his doctoral graduation, he continued and expanded his research areas by working in three different fields of Mechanical Engr., Biomedical, Engr., and Biology as a post-doc in UT-Knoxville. His research interests are microscale heat transfer, micro-fluidics, micro-encapsulation, micro-/nano-fabricaions, opto-electrical cellular sensing, multi-scale interface phenomena, and chemotaxis. He is particularly interested in developing a versatile and highly capable multimodality imaging system coupled with the culture platform in order to make in vitro data collection even more comprehensive. He is currently a chair of visualization technical committee (K-22) in the heat transfer division of American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME) and a topic organizer of Photogallery-heat transfer visualization in the ASME-IMECE and the ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Microscopic Imaging Techniques
- Cellular Sensing & Single Protein Tracking
- Opto-electric Cellular Sensing
- Microfluidics and Microscale Heat Transfer
- Droplet Impingement on Patterned Metal Surfaces
- Evaporation of Thin Films and Droplets
- Multiscale Interface Phenomena
- Neutron imaging
- Fluid Flow-induced Shear Effect on Chondrons; Regeneration of pericellular matrix from chondrocytes using microencapsulation;
- F. Long, C.K. Choi, "Electron Mobility across Grain Boundaries in Graphene Synthesized using Chemical Vapor Deposition Process," Journal of Heat Transfer, 139 (8), 080901, Aug 2017. Read More
- CH Jeong, SH Lee, DH Shin, V. Konduru, J. Allen, C.K. Choi, "High-speed SPR Visualization of Frost Propagation Inside of Subcooled Water Droplet," Journal of Heat Transfer, 139 (2), 020905, Feb 2017 Read More
- F. Long, C.K. Choi, "Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) as a Powerful Tool to Study Temperature-dependent Polymer Film Formation," Journal of Heat Transfer, 139 (2), 020904, Feb 2017. Read More
- D.H. Shin, J. Allen, S.H. Lee, C.K. Choi, "Observations of Internal Flow and Interface Evolution in an Evaporating Nanofluid Sessile Droplet in the Presence of an Entrapped Air Bubble," Scientific Reports, 6, Article #: 32767, Sep 2016 Read More
- V. Konduru, K. Bellur, E. Medici, J. Allen, C.K. Choi, D. Hussey, D. Jacobson, J. Leao, J. McQuillen, J. Hermanson, "Examining Liquid Hydrogen Wettability using Neutron Imaging," Journal of Heat Transfer, 138 (8), 080901, Aug 2016. Read More
- V. Konduru, D.H. Shin, J. Allen, SH Lee, YK Choi, S Cheon, K. Kihm, C.K. Choi, "High-speed Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) Reflectance Imaging of Drop Coalescence during Condensation and Evaporation," Journal of Heat Transfer, 138 (8), 080903, Aug 2016. Read More
- K. Bellur, V. Konduru, E. Medici, D. Hussey, D. Jacobson, J. Allen, J. Lamanna, C.K. Choi, "Visualization of the Evaporative/Condensation Phenomena in Cyrogenic Propellants," Journal of Flow Visualization and Image Processing, 23 (1-2): 137~156, Mar 2016.
- K. Bellur, E.F. Medici, M. Kulshreshtha, V. Konduru, D. Tyrewala, A. Tamilarasan, J. McQuillen, J. Leao, D.S. Hussey, D.L. Jacobson, J. Scherschligt, J.C. Hermanson, C.K. Choi, J. Allen, "A New Experiment for Determining Evaporation and Condensation Coefficients of Cryogenic Propellants," Cryogenics, 74, 131~137, Mar 2016.
- Wang, Shuo, Jeon, Oju, Shankles, Peter G., Liu, Yuan, Alsberg, Eben, Retterer, Scott T., Lee, Bruce P., and Choi, Chang Kyoung, "In-situ Photopolymerization of Monodisperse and Discoid Oxidized Methacrylated Alginate Microgels in a Microfluidic Channel," AIP Biomicrofluidics, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 011101, 4 pages, February 2016. doi: 10.1063/1.4941339 Read More
- Shin, Dong Hwan; Mamun, Mohammad; Almonte, Jose; Margraves, Charles H.; Kang, Yong Tae; Lee, Seong‑Hyuk; Choi, Chang Kyoung; "A Noninvasive Method to Predict Fluid Viscosity and Nanoparticle Size using Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM) Imaging," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol. 20, No. 3, Article 45, 12 pages, March 2016. DOI 10.1007/s10404-016-1710-9 Read More
- Bellur, K., Konduru, V., Kulshrestha, M., Tyrewala, D., Medici, E., Allen, J., Choi, C.K., Hussey, D. Jacobson, D., Leao, J., McQuillen, J., Hermanson, J., Tamilarasan, A., "Contact Angle Measurement of Liquid Hydrogen (LH2) in Stainless Steel and Aluminum Cells," Journal of Heat Transfer, 138(2), 020904, February 2016 Paper No: HT-15-1701; doi: 10.1115/1.4032232 Read More
- Jeong, C.H.,Lee, J.B., Lee, S.H., Lee, J., You, S.M., Choi, C.K., "Frosting Characteristics on Hydrophilic and Superhydrophobic Copper Surfaces," Journal of Heat Transfer, 138(2), 020913, February 2016 Paper No: HT-15-1728; doi: 10.1115/1.4032257 Read More
- Bellur, K., Médici, E.F., Kulshreshtha, M., Konduru, V., Tyrewala, D., Tamilarasan, A., McQuillen, J., Leão, J.B., Hussey, D.S., Jacobson, D.L., Scherschligt, J., Hermanson, J.C., Choi, C.K., Allen, J.S., "A New Experiment for Investigating Evaporation and Condensation of Cryogenic Propellants," Journal of Cyrogenics, online October 2015, doi:10.1016/j.cryogenics.2015.10.016 Read More
- Bellur, Krishan, Medici, Ezequiel, Allen, Jeffrey S., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Hermanson, Jimes, Tamilarasan, Arun, Hussey, Daniel, Jacobson, David, Leao, Juscelino B., McQuillen, John, “Neutron Radiography of Condensation and Evaporation of Hydrogen in a Cyrogenic Condition,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Aug 2015, Vol. 137, No. 8 Paper No. HT-15-1237, pp. 080901, DOI: 10.1115/1.4030442 Read More
- Lee, Jae Bin, Moon, Joo Hyun, Cho, Minhaeng, Lee, Seong Hyuk, Choi, Chang Kyoung, “Characteristics of Droplet Growth Behavior on Hydrophobic Micro-textured Surfaces,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Aug 2015, Vol.137, No. 8, Paper No. HT-15-1254, pp.080906, DOI: 10.1115/1.4030453 Read More
- Moon, Joo Hyun, Choi, Chang Kyoung, Allen, Jeffrey S., Lee, Seong Hyuk, “A Rebounding Droplet Impacting on a Static Droplet,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Aug 2015, Vol. 137, No. 8, Paper No. HT-15-1255, pp. 080909, DOI: 10.1115/1.4030473 Read More
- Shin, Dong Hwan, Allen, Jeffrey S., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Lee, Seong Hyuk, Visualization of an Evaporating Thin Layer during the Evaporation of a Nanofluid Droplet,” Langmuir, Jan 2015, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 1237-1241, DOI: 10.1021/la504133h Read More
- Shin, Dong Hwan, Allen, Jeffrey S., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Lee, Seong Hyuk, "Visualization in the Contact Line Region of an Evaporating Nanofluid Drop," Journal of Heat Transfer, Aug 2014, Vol. 136, No. 8, Paper No. HT-14-1211, pp. 080913, DOI: 10.1115/1.4027531 Read More
- Liggett, Jason L., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Donnell, Robert L., Kihm, Kenneth D., Kim, Jong-Sik, Min, Kyung-Won, Noegel, Angelika Anna, Baek, Seung Joon, 2014, “Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs Suppress Structural Protein Nesprin-2 Expression in Colorectal Cancer Cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA), Vol.1840 (1), pp. 322-331, DOI:10.1016/j.bbagen.2013.09.032.
- Shokuhfar, Tolou, Hamlekhan, Azhang, Chang, Jen-Yung., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Sukotjo, Cortino, Friedrich, Craig R., "Biophysical Evaluation of Cells on Nanotubular Surfaces: The Effects of Atomic Ordering and Chemistry," International Journal of Nanomedicine, Online Aug 2014, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 3737-3748, DOI: 10.2147/IJN.S67344 Read More
- Lee, Jae Bin, Lee, Jin Woon, Lee, Seong Hyuk, Kang, Yong Tae, Choi, Chang Kyoung, "Dependency of Condensation Forms on Wettability," Journal of Heat Transfer, Aug 2014, Vol. 136, No. 8, pp. 080911-1, Paper No: HT-14-1209, DOI: 10.1115/1.4027529
- Jung, Jung-Yeul, Kang, Yong Tae, Choi, Chang Kyoung, "Detection & Collection of Bacteria in an Evaporating Sessile Droplet," Journal of Heat Transfer, Aug 2014, Vol. 136, No. 8, pp. 080902-1, Paper No: HT-14-1200, DOI: 10.1115/1.4027517
- Chang, Jen-Yung, Wang, Shuo, Allen, Jeffrey S., Lee, Seong Hyuk, Chang, Suk Tai, Choi, Young-Ki, Friedrich, Craig R., Choi, Chang Kyoung, "A Novel Miniature Dynamic Cell Culture Platform using Electro-Osmosis Diode Pumping", Biomicrofluidics, Aug 2014, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 0444116, DOI:10.1063/1.4892894 Read More
- Gwon, Hyuk Rok, Chang, Suk Tai., Choi, Chang Kyoung, Jung, Jung-Yeul, Kim, Jong-Min, Lee, Seong Hyuk, "Development of a New Contactless Dielectrophoresis System for Active Particle Manipulation using Movable Liquid Electrode," Electrophoresis, Jul 2014, Vol 35, No. 14, pp. 2014-2021, DOI: 10.1002/elps.201300566 Read More
- Shin, Dong Hwan, Choi, Chang Kyoung, Lee, Seong Hyuk, Kang, Yong Tae, "Local Aggregation Characteristics of Nanofluid Droplet During Evaporation," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, May 2014, Vol. 72, pp.336-344, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2014.01.023 Read More
- Ha, Moonsik, Lee, Jung Hee, Choi, Chang Kyoung, Kim, Jae Hyung, Choi, Young Ki, "Understanding the Structure of Table-Type Dolmens Using Numerical Analysis," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology , May 2014, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 1789-1795, DOI: 10.1007/s12206-014-0325-x Read More
- I Pineda, C.K. Choi, YT Kang, CO2 gas absorption by CH3OH based nanofluid in an annular contractor at low rotational speeds, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 23, 105-112, 2014 (April)
- Chevres, Lee Roy, Shin, Dong Hwan, Hernandez, Joseph, Choi, Chang Kyoung, Allen, Jeffrey S., Lee, Seong-Hyuk, 2013, “Fringe Pattern Visualization of Contact Lines during Evaporation of Nanofluid Droplets,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 135 (8) (080912), Article No. HT-13-1138, 1 page, DOI: 10.1115/1.4024194.
- Kumar, Arun, Takatsuki, Hideyo, Choi, Chang Kyoung, Sen, Ayusman, Blough, Eric, 2013, “Glucose Driven Catalytic Nanomotor to Create Motion at Micro Scale,” Journal of Biotech Research [ISSN: 1944-3285], Vol. 5, pp.35-39.