Adjunct Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Michigan Technological University
Dr. Tolou Shokuhfar is the director of In-Situ Nanomedicine Laboratory, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Michigan Technological University, Adjunct Assistant Professor of College of Dentistry and Physics at University of Illinois at Chicago . Her research experience lies at the interface of biomaterials and nano-biotechnology. She is particularly interested in nanostructured bone/dental implants with enhanced biocompatibility, antimicrobial benefits, and drug delivery as well as real time Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy of biomolecules and living cells in hydrated conditions with unprecedented resolution. She also investigates bio/nano interface interactions in protein nanocages for biomimetic synthesis of sustainable nanoparticles and smart bio-nanomaterials with widespread applications in regenerative medicine, diagnostics, and therapeutics.
Links of Interest
- Orthopedic implants
- Gangulay, Debmalya, Shokuhfar, Tolou, Shahbazian Yassar, Reza, 2014, “Nanotubes for Orthopedic Implants,” Journal of Nanotechnology and Smart Materials, Vol. 1:201, pp. 1-10.
- Shokuhfar, T., Kolati, M., Moser, T., Skotjo, C., Friedrich, C., 2012, “Survivability of TiO2 Nanotubes on the Surface of Nano-Modified Bone Screws,” For submission to JOMI.
- Shokuhfar, T., Ray, S.S., Skotjo, C., Yarin, A.L., 2012, “Anti-inflammatory Drug Loaded TiO2 Nanotubes,“ submitted to Acta Biomateriala, (July, 2012).
- Asthana, A., Shokuhfar, T., Gao, Q., Heiden, P. A., Friedrich, Craig R., and Shahbazian-Yassar, Reza, 2012, "Deformation-Driven Electrical Transport in Amorphous TiO2 Nanotubes," Applied Physics A, Vol. 109, No. 1, pp. 127-132.
- T. Shokuhfar, J.Y. Chang, C.K. Choi, C. Skotjo, C. Friedrich, Biophysical Evaluation of Osteoblasts on TiO2 Nanotubes, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine (Dec 2011), Under revision.
- T. Shokuhfar, J.Y. Chang, C.K. Choi, C. Friedrich, Biophysical Evaluation of Osteoblasts on TiO2 Nanotubes, submitted to Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine (Dec 2011), Under Revision.
- Shin, D.H., Shokuhfar, T., Choi, Chang K., Lee, S-H., and Friedrich, Craig R., 2011, "Wettability Changes of TiO2 Nanotube Surfaces," Nanotechnology, Vol. 22, No. 31, Article ID 315704, 7 pages.
- Shokuhfar, T., Gao, Q., Asthana, A., Heiden, P., Friedrich, C., 2010, “Structural Instabilities in TiO2 Nanotubes,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 108, 1043101-5.