- MEEM 906
Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Design/Dynamic Systems (DDS) Area Director
- PhD, Auburn University
Rao's areas of expertise include automotive noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH), damping of materials and joints, development of innovative concepts of damping enhancements for vibration control using viscoelastic damping materials, and noise control. He received the NASA New Technology Award in 1990 from NASA-Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Alabama, for his research on the damping of composite materials of the Hubble Space Telescope. He also received the NSF Research Initiation Award in 1989.
Links of Interest
- Automotive noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)
- Damping of materials and joints
- Development of innovative concepts of damping enhancements for vibration control using viscoelastic damping materials
- Noise control
Areas of Expertise
- Noise Control
- Auditory Science
- Rao, M.D., and Black, M.D., “Evaluation and Reduction of Steering Column Vibration of a Real Wheel Sedan,” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration, 1, 122-141. 2004.
- Rao, M.D., Wirkner, K.J., and Gruenberg, S., “Dynamic Characterization of Automotive Exhaust Isolators”, Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 218, 891-900, 2004.
- Spruit, M., Rao, M.D, et al. “Study of Noise Transmission from a Table Saw,” Sound and Vibration, July 2004, pp. 20-26.
- Rao, M.D., “ Recent Applications of Viscoelastic Damping for Noise and Vibration Control in Automobiles and Commercial Airplanes, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 262, 457-474, 2003.
- Holt, J., Rao, M.D., Blough, J., and Gruenberg, S., “The Use of Unique Time History Input Excitation in the Dynamic Characterization of Automotive Mounts,” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1463, SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, May 2003, Traverse City.
- Rao, M.D., and Letowski, T., “ Speech Intelligibility of the Call Sign Acquisition Test (CAT) for Army Communication Systems,” Audio Engg. Society Convention Paper 5836, Presented at the 114th Convention, March 2003, Amsterdam.
- Bloss, B. and Rao, M.D., “Measurement of Damping in Structures by the Power Input Method,” Experimental Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 3, May/June 2002, pp. 30-32.