- MEEM 803
John & Cathi Drake Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, State University of New York at Buffalo
Dr. Parker specializes in control system design and methods for correlating nonlinear dynamic models to experimental data. An emerging area of research is the utilization of interspacecraft Coulomb forces for both position and attitude control. This has applications from spacecraft formation flying to active “virtual” structures that are highly reconfigurable and robust to individual spacecraft failure. Spacecraft force coupling and the nonlinear electrostatic force behavior provide a variety of interesting technical challenges from nonlinear control to optimal formation design. Similar research topic areas such as, nonlinear control, system simulation, nonlinear system parameter identification and optimization, are present in most of his ongoing projects. Examples include active control of diesel engine aftertreatment systems, at-sea ship crane control, and hydraulic system parameter identification. Another research area is focused on increasing robot-based, flexible material throughput for manufacturing applications. The system dynamics of the part are exploited, in conjunction with vision-based trajectory optimization, to minimize maneuver time.
Links of Interest
- Control system design
- Methods for correlating nonlinear dynamic models to experimental data
- Nonlinear control
- System simulation
- Nonlinear system parameter identification and optimization
Areas of Expertise
- Nonlinear Controls
- Schaub, H., Parker, G. G., and King, L. B., 2004, “Challenges and Prospects of Coulomb Spacecraft Formation Flying,” The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 52, No. 1-2, pp. 169-193.
- Kladopoulou, E. A., Yang, S. L., Johnson, J. H., Parker, G. G. and Konstandopoulos, A. G., 2003, “A Study Describing the Performance of Diesel Particulate Filters During Loading and Regeneration—A Lumped Parameter Model for Control Applications,” SAE Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Vol. 112, pp. 647-668.
- Dhaliwal, A., Parker, G.G. and Blough, J. R., 2004, “Active Structural Acoustic Control of Road Noise in a Passenger Vehicle,” International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, Vol. 2, pp. 168-188.
- Chen, W., Buehler, M., Parker, G. G., and Bettig, B., 2004, “Optimal Sensor Design and Control of Piezoelectric Laminate Beams,” IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 148-155.