- MEEM 1013
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Texas A&M University
- MS, Cairo University
- BS, Cairo University
Dr. Abdelkhalik conducts research in the area of dynamics, control, and global optimization with applications to spacecraft trajectory planning, data assimilation in oil reservoirs, systems design, and traffic engineering. In some applications, the design space has numerous local minima, with mixed variables (integer and real), and the number of optimization variables can be varied among different solutions to explore new regions in the design space. Global optimization methods can handle problems with mixed variables and numerous local minima, but variable-size design space optimization is yet to be explored. The research focus is on the study of global optimization methods that can handle variable-size design space problems. Other research efforts include the recursive implementation of evolutionary optimization algorithms for the sake of improving the computational efficiency in data assimilation problems.
Links of Interest
- Optimal N-Impulse Orbit Transfers Using Genetic algorithms
- Optimal Orbit Design for Remote Sensing Missions Using Genetic Algorithms
- Spacecraft Formation Flying navigation and control
- Spacecraft Orbit Maintenance
- Satellite Constellation Design for Earth Observation Missions
- Two-Way Orbits
Areas of Expertise
- Space Mechanics
- Spacecraft Dynamics
- O. Abdelkhalik, A. Gad. Optimization of space orbits design for Earth orbiting missions, Acta Astronautica, Elsevier, Vol. 68, pp 1307–1317, April-May 2011. doi:10.1016/j.actaastro.2010.09.029.
- A. Gad, O. Abdelkhalik. Hidden Genes Genetic Algorithm for Multi-Gravity-Assist Trajectories Optimization, AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, AIAA, Vol. 48, No 4, pp 629-641, July-August 2011. doi: 10.2514/1.52642
- S. T. Goh, O. Abdelkhalik and S.R. Zekavat, Constraint estimation of spacecraft formations orbits using relative positions measurements. AIAA Journal of guidance, control, and dynamics. Accepted, July 2011.
- O. Abdelkhalik and A. Gad, Dynamic-Size Multi-Population Genetic Optimization for Multi-Gravity-Assist Trajectories, AIAA Journal of guidance, control, and dynamics. Accepted, July 2011.
- Shu Ting Goh, Ossama Abdelkhalik and Seyed A.(Reza) Zekavat, Spacecraft Formation Orbit Estimation using WLPS-based Localization, International Journal of Navigation and Observation, Hindawi, Accepted, July 2011.
- O. Abdelkhalik. Initial Orbit Design from Ground Track Points, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, AIAA, Vol. 47, No 1, Jan.-Feb. 2010.
- A. Gad, and O. Abdelkhalik. Repeated Shadow Track Orbits for Space-SunSetter Missions. International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 561495, doi:10.1155/2009/561495. Read More