Borrowing and Lending
Michigan Tech students, faculty and staff may use their Tech Express identification card to borrow materials from the library. All users may borrow books, maps, government publications and media. Journals may be checked out by faculty, graduate students and Honors Institute undergraduate students for short periods of time. Other materials such as laptops, reference books, most print course reserves, microforms and Special Collections may be used on-site.
Eligible community members may request a Courtesy Borrowing Card by providing current identification and a home address. To be eligible for a Courtesy Borrowing Card, the person must be 18 years of age or older and live in the four county area. Part-time students not eligible for a Tech Express card may also request a Courtesy Borrowing Card, as may summer residents with a local address. MelCat service is included, but Interlibrary loan and Document Delivery services are not. Visit the Library and IT Service Center for details.
Circulation Loan Policy
Borrowers must have a valid Michigan Tech identification or courtesy card in order to check out library materials.
Michigan Tech Faculty, Faculty Emeriti and Staff
|Circulating Collection (books, monographs)||Paperback & Popular Collection||Periodicals|
|Loan Period||Loan period 17 weeks, or 3 weeks if recalled by another patron||5 weeks||3 days|
|Renewals||3 renewals (1 renewal = 17 weeks)||1 one-week renewal||3 renewals (1 renewal = 3 days)|
The warning system and penalties for overdue materials
- Loss of borrowing privileges will occur if
- 3 items are overdue, or
- A recalled item is overdue.
- If an item is recalled by a patron, fines of $1/day will accrue starting on the due date in the recall notice.
- Library patrons will receive e-mail warning notices 5 days prior to the due date. At that time patrons can
- Renew the items:
- Reply to the Email with a request for renewal, or
- Renew the items in your library account at www.lib.mtu.edu - click on "My account" and follow instructions
- Return the item by the due date
- Renew the items:
- Library patrons will receive 3 warning notices. If the item is not returned within 3 weeks of the due date, the patron will be billed for the item plus a $25 processing charge.
Michigan Tech Undergraduates & Courtesy Card Patrons
|Loan Period||5 weeks||None. Building use only.|
|Renewals||3 renewals (1 renewal = 5 weeks)|
Subject to recall after 21 days if sought by another borrower. Renewals may be made in person or by returning the overdue notice with renew indicated.
Penalties for Overdue Materials: Borrowing privileges blocked. Recalled overdues, fine of $1.00 a day from due date. If overdue 1 full month, patron will be billed for book plus $25.00 processing fee.
Courtesy Card Eligibility: Age 18 or older are resident of Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga or Ontonagon County. Includes faculty and student spouses and alumni and their families. Courtesy Card patrons can have no more than 5 books checked out at any one time.
Michigan Tech Honors Institute Undergraduate Students and all Graduate Students
|Loan Period||17 weeks|
Subject to recall after 21 days if sought by another borrower.
All patrons: Books from the paperback and popular collections have a five week loan period with one week renewal.
|Renewals||3 renewals (1 renewal = 17 weeks)||3 renewals (1 renewal = 3 days)|
Other Items Available for Check-out at the Circulation Desk
|TI89 Calculators||Laptops||Video Cameras||Digital Cameras|
|Loan Period||3 hours||3 hours||3 days||3 days|
- Presenting your Van Pelt and Opie Library or Courtesy Borrowing Card to check out any material
- Renewing or returning all material by the due date
- Reading and responding to all library notices promptly
- Notifying the Library if your card is lost or stolen
- Paying any fines or fees for late return or non-return of library materials checked out on your card
- Notifying the library of a change in address, including Email
- Contacting the library if material charged on your card is lost or stolen