Group Study Room Policies
The purpose of this policy is to maximize the benefits of the study rooms for groups of Michigan Tech students.
- The group study rooms in the Van Pelt and Opie Library are reserved for undergraduate and graduate student use.
- A student may reserve, for a group, one or more study rooms per day, in half-hour blocks of time, for a total of four (4) hours per day.
- A student may not reserve more than one room in the same time period, or block. For example, a student may reserve room 302 from 4-5pm and room 303 from 5-6pm, but may not reserve both room 302 and room 303 from 5-6pm.
- Reservations may be made up to two (2) weeks in advance.
- Study rooms are for two or more persons; large study rooms for four or more. During Exam Week and the two weeks prior, group size requirements are strictly enforced.
- Group study rooms remain locked when not in use. Before occupying a group study room, students must check out a room key at the Library and IT Service Center (requires valid Tech Express ID card).
- When finished using a study room, students must return their room key to the Library and IT Service Center. Students are responsible for keys checked out to them. Overdue fines are charged for late or missing keys.
- Keys are to be returned to the Library and IT Service Center on or before the end of the time-block concluding your reservation. For example, a student who has reserved a room from 4-6:30pm, must return the key to the Library and IT Service Center no later than 6:30pm.
- Keys returned after scheduled reservation time may result in an overdue fine.
- Use of the group study rooms constitutes the student’s agreement to abide by the Michigan Tech Code of Conduct Policies
- The Library staff reserves the right to modify or cancel reservations when necessary.
- You must pick up your room key within the first fifteen minutes of your room reservation. Unused room bookings are subject to cancelations by library staff.