Supplementary Materials for Your Courses
Materials placed on reserve by faculty for their courses can be found through the Course Reserve tab in the Library Catalog.
What is Course Reserve?
Instructors place supplementary materials on reserve in the library for students enrolled in their courses. The library offers electronic reserves (e-reserves) and print reserves for materials unable to be placed on e-reserve. Examples of course materials include lecture notes, past exams, assignments, journal articles, books, sound recordings, movies, etc. The library will assist instructors by obtaining copyright permissions.
Electronic Course Reserve (E-reserve)
Materials placed on e-reserve can be accessed through the Library Catalog. Materials are organized by instructor name, department, and course number. Access is password protected using the Michigan Tech’s ISO service. Enrolled students can access these materials at any time from their desktop.
For Faculty: To place material on electronic course reserve:
- Submit a Course Reserve Request Form.
- Material may be submitted in electronic or print formats. All print materials should be brought with a completed request form to the Circulation Desk on the first floor of the Library.
- Library staff will scan print material and link PDF documents to the instructor's name, department and course number in the Library’s Online Catalog.
Please allow 24 hours for processing. At the end of the semester, e-reserves are deleted.
Print Course Reserve
Materials that cannot be placed on e-reserve, either because of their physical format or because of copyright restrictions, can be placed on course reserves at the Library and IT Service Center. Students can request material by the instructor’s name or the course number and can borrow materials, using a valid Michigan Tech ID, for in-building use only for one to three hours.
For Faculty: To place materials on print reserves:
- Complete a Course Reserve Request Form.
- Provide the library with as much notice as possible if the item you would like to have placed on reserves is unavailable in the library.
- If instructor-supplied material to be placed on reserve bears no indication of copyright compliance, include the complete citation or contact email@example.com for assistance in complying with the U.S. Copyright Law.
- Bring the completed form (and instructor-supplied material) to the Service Desk.
Please allow 24 hours for processing and at least one week when the item is not currently available in the library. Instructor-supplied material will be returned at the end of the semester.