When materials are not available through the Van Pelt and Opie Library catalog, and cannot be obtained through MeLCat, Michigan Tech faculty, students, and staff (with valid HuskyCard) may request materials directly through the library's ILLiad interlibrary loan service. The process, restrictions, and fees and fines for this service are described below.
Courtesy Borrowing Card-holders may use MeLCat. Residents seeking U.S. Government publications may use MeLCat or contact Interlibrary Loan for assistance.
Requesting Materials Through ILLiad
- Most requests are processed the day they are received. Typically, PDFs of articles and papers are delivered within 12 - 24 hours, and borrowed items are received within 10 - 14 days.
- Borrowed items are assigned a due date by the lending library. The due date will be on the borrowed item. Most loan periods are 3-6 weeks. Renewals may be available.
- Borrowed items kept beyond their due date are overdue. The library will send regular overdue notices to the patron via email. Please see the library’s Borrowing Rules & Fees chart for details.
- All copies of articles and papers obtained through ILL are the property of the patron.
- Library staff will make every effort to obtain requested items. However, we generally cannot obtain entire issues of journals, reference or no-loan materials, rare/unique items, or copies of patents and standards.
- Interlibrary loan cannot be used to obtain textbooks for Michigan Tech courses.
- Interlibrary loan materials may not be placed on course reserves.
Fees and Fines
- In most cases, the ILLiad service is free of charge. The library will cover up to $40.00 in copyright and/or lending fees for each requested item; the patron will be contacted if charges exceed $40.00.
- Borrowed items that have been recalled by the lending library must be returned by the patron within three business days. After 3 business days, the patron’s account will be blocked and a $5.00 daily fine will be charged. The patron’s account will be unblocked when the item is returned and any fines have been paid.