Home Sweet Home

Parents' FAQs: Student Homecoming


What is reverse culture shock? Will my child experience it? How will it affect me?

Your son/daughter is finally home, but something is different. You may not understand his/her reactions, or why he/she always seems irritable or negative towards your home. After all, after a summer, semester, or year abroad, shouldn’t your child be as excited to see you as you are to see him/her?

If this is the case, your child may be experiencing reverse culture shock. She/he may feel out of touch with home, as he/she is now accustomed to the lifestyle abroad. This could mean remembering words from the foreign language before remembering the words in English, or it could mean that the student wants to eat later in the day, eat different kinds of foods, or is critical of the way things work here in the States.

Reverse culture shock is normal, and generally not severe or long lasting. Some students adapt better than others, some worse. Your daughter or son may feel alienated from friends and family, may have little connection with old friends, and may feel like no one is interested in hearing stories or looking at his/her pictures from abroad.

A worst-case scenario is when students feel physical and mental disorientation, feelings of alienation, irritability over minor issues, rejection of native culture, and boredom or no direction.

This stage can be the most frustrating for parents because their children may seem hard to relate to. Parents will notice outer changes that the student will not notice, while students will notice the inner changes that parents will not see. Parents just need to wait out this period.

Students can deal with reverse culture shock in the same ways that they dealt with culture shock. In addition, they can focus on responsibilities that many students have upon coming home, such as setting up roommates/living arrangements, registering for classes, etc. It is best to have a “time off” period instead of coming home from abroad and then going straight back to university classes.


How can my daughter/son be sure that his/her credits have transferred? Which classes should she/he enroll in at the home university?

Students who study abroad are registered at Michigan Technological University for 15 credit hours, regardless of how many credits they actually take while abroad. This 15-credit "placeholder" registration ensures that the student is registered as a full-time student at Michigan Technological University. When the Study Abroad Office receives the transcripts or grade sheets from the host institution, the student’s MTU registration will be changed to reflect the actual credits received. (This will happen AFTER the student gets back from abroad.) It’s a good idea for the student to bring copies of course syllabi and/or descriptions back to the home university to help determine how courses will transfer. Please see the Orientation Manual for more information.

Determining which classes your daughter/son should enroll in upon return is best answered by his/her academic advisor. If there are any questions, it is important for your son/daughter to be in contact with his/her advisor at the UI (or other home institution).


A fiscal year is different from an academic year, and I need to show that I paid tuition in two semester payments. How can I straighten this out?

This is a common problem for parents whose children go on a year-long study abroad program, and fortunately, it can be easily solved. If you or your accountant needs to show additional detail for tax purposes, the Study Abroad Office or appropriate Program Provider can assist you with this. We may be able to provide an invoice reflecting the appropriate costs/payments.