Frequently Asked Questions—Study Abroad

Study Abroad


What are the eligibility requirements to study abroad?

You must:

  • have been a student at Michigan Tech for 2 or more semesters
  • have a GPA of 2.75 (some programs require a higher GPA, a few allow a lower)
  • have the approval of the Dean of Students


Do I have to be a Michigan Tech student to apply?

Most Summer programs do not require participants to be Michigan Tech students. In order to participate in an Exchange program, you must be a degree-seeking student at Michigan Tech. Non-Michigan Tech students may not apply.


How much does it cost?

Study Abroad tuition will at be at least the same as your Michigan Resident or Non-Michigan Resident tuition rate. In the event the partner program (USAC, AustraLearn, Kingston University, etc.) cost more than the Michigan Tech rate, students will be charged the higher rate. Total cost of overseas programs varies widely depending on the program length, the services provided by the program, the amount of travel included, the cost of living in the host country, and a variety of other factors. Information on costs will be provided upon acceptance to study abroad by Michigan Tech.

Non-refundable $350 registration fee.  Tuition and the registration fee will be added to your Michigan Tech tuition bill, Follow the payment schedule set by Michigan Tech. 


What about financial aid?

Your Michigan Tech financial aid all travels with you – except for work-study. The cost form that you and the Study Abroad Coordinator will fill out is given to Financial Aid, and if necessary/possible, your financial packet may be adjusted.


Are scholarships available?

Visit our Financial Aid/Scholarships web page.


What about credit for classes?

All courses that you take when abroad are preapproved so you will know what credit you will receive before you go. Study abroad courses may be used for major/minor, gen ed, or free electives. 

All coursework taken abroad will be posted on the student's official Michigan Tech records/transcripts as the Michigan Tech course equivalent (e.g. HU 2700). Grades will be recorded as Exchange Pass (EP) or Exchange Fail (EF). The name of the host country and university will also be noted on the transcript.

In most cases, you will be registered by IPS for 15 IEX credits to maintain your full-time student status. You must fill out and sign the Credit Transfer Form before you leave campus. Any changes in your program such as early termination, extension, or a change from full to part-time status must be submitted to the Study Abroad Coordinator in writing.


Can I go if I co-op?

You can go abroad if you co-op. You just have to participate during one of your school terms and be sure that the dates of the program will not interfere with reporting to your co-op job as scheduled. Also, if you are not going to be taking a full-time load of classes while abroad, you need to discuss your plans with your Co-op Advisor.


Do I have to speak a foreign language?

Many Study Abroad programs offer courses taught in English; however, some programs do require foreign language skills. Though learning a language may not be required, we encourage you to take advantage of any opportunity, academic or extra-curricular, to gain language skills. Becoming proficient in a foreign language will allow you to communicate effectively with the locals and have a better grasp of the culture in which you are living, so all students are encouraged to acquire some knowledge of the language of the host country.


How do I apply?

We have more information on how to apply to a Michigan Tech Study Abroad program.


What are the deadlines for applying?

Each study abroad program has its own application deadlines. In addition, the Study Abroad Office has its own internal deadlines to ensure that students are prepared and that all the relevant MTU offices can be informed of the approved students for study abroad.


Which programs are offered by Michigan Tech?

We have a variety of programs available.


Can I go on a program offered by another university?

Yes, you may, if the program is pre-approved by the Study Abroad office. Please note that your financial aid may not fully transfer to another university’s program.


Can Grad students go?

Yes, they may.


Can I study abroad during my last semester at Tech?

You may participate in a Michigan Tech Study Abroad program during your last semester. IMPORTANT: EXCHANGE PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS—please note that there is a good chance that your overseas transcripts will not be forwarded to Michigan Tech in time for you to graduate that same semester. Please make sure you're aware of this risk before you decide when to study abroad. We'd love to have you around longer, but chances are you'll be ready to graduate on time!


May I participate in more than one study abroad program during the same term?

No. You may only participate in one study abroad program at a time. Additionally, you may not register for any class on campus during your study abroad term.


What about Michigan Tech's 36 - Hour Rule - does this mean that I cannot study abroad during my final 36 credit hours?

Michigan Tech policy states, "No student may be considered a candidate for a degree unless the final 36 credit hours required for the degree are earned in residence at Michigan Tech and approved by the major school." Since credits earned on Michigan Tech programs abroad are considered Michigan Tech credit hours in residence, you can go abroad on Michigan Tech Study Abroad Programs during your final 36 credit hours at Michigan Tech.


I will be returning to Michigan Tech after the start of the semester. Will I still be able to enroll late at Tech?

If you are going to be getting back to campus after the semester starts, you will need to speak with your instructors to see if they will allow you to make up the work that you miss until you return. Instructors will be listed on the Schedule of Classes. If the instructor is not listed, speak with that department to find out who will be teaching or contact the Registrar's Office, and they will let you know whom you should contact.