About your Health and Insurance
Michigan Tech Student Health Insurance
You must have health insurance that covers you the entire time you are at Michigan Tech. If you have insurance, bring proof of coverage and a copy of your insurance policy with you.
Learn more about student health insurance requirements.
If you have questions, International Programs and Services will help guide you through the process. You can make health insurance payments by signing in to your MyMichiganTech account. The menu listing for insurance takes you directly to payment options.
You must pay for your insurance before you pay tuition.
Get Immunization Protection
Michigan Tech recommends that you have these vaccinations before you arrive:
- Meningococcus vaccine
- Tetanus/ Diphtheria (a primary series and a booster within the last 10 years)
- Measles vaccine (two doses) or Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR)
- Varicella vaccine, if you have not had chickenpox
- Hepatitis A & B vaccine (three doses)
We also recommend an influenza vaccination in October or November. For information on immunizations, visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Closest Services: UP Health System-Portage
After-hours service and emergency care are provided at Portage Hospital in Hancock. Student health services are located on campus at the Student Development Complex (SDC) in the UP Health System-Portage University Center.
- The clinic has Michigan Tech student walk-in hours Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- It is a full-service clinic staffed with five family medicine providers and onsite lab and x-ray services.
- Sports injury walk-in hours are 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. every Monday.
- Online scheduling is available for established patients.
- A sliding fee scale (discounted rate) is available if you are uninsured or underinsured.
An immediate non-emergency care option: UP Health System-Portage Express Care on Sharon Avenue, directly across from Taco Bell. For $49, many common ailments can be treated from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday through Sunday, 365 days a year. Call 906-483-1777 for more information.
Student Health 101 E-Magazine
Michigan Tech partners with Student Health 101 to help you live healthy and be well.
Public Safety on Campus
Michigan Tech Public Safety is our certified police department. It is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For on-campus emergencies dial 123 or 8-911. For off-campus emergencies dial 911—the US International Emergency Dial Code for police, fire, and ambulance assistance.
Blue Light Phones
Emergency blue light phones located throughout campus connect directly to Public Safety. They are only used for emergencies. IPS will give you a list of phone locations when you check in.