International Programs and Services

CPT: When Earning Credits is Required

Some students must take Curricular Practical Training because it is a degree requirement. If your academic department does not require training or work experience for your degree, then you must earn academic credit for your CPT. It is federal law.

International Programs and Services cannot authorize your CPT unless it is a part of your degree work, or you have registered for a co-op with Career Services. 

You Need to Know

  • Graduate students cannot use thesis or dissertation credits to fulfill the CPT credit requirement.
  • Graduates and undergraduates participating in CPT must be registered with the Career Services Office and earn co-op credits—undergrads, 2 co-op credits; grad students, 1 co-op credit.