Apply Early for Program Extensions
F-1 and J-1 students have a set period of time to complete their academic programs. Your end date is on page one of your I-20 or DS-2019.
Students unable to meet academic requirements by the program end date must apply for a program extension before their program end date.
To qualify for program extension, F-1 and J-1 students must meet these requirements:
- The I-20/DS-2019 has not expired.
- Students have continuously maintained their F-1 or J-1 status.
- The delay in completion of program is because of one of these compelling reasons:
- Academics, including change of major, change in research topic, or unexpected research problems.
- Medical, with documentation required from Student Health Center or a US-licensed medical physician.
How to Request an Extension
- Provide IPS with a completed, signed Academic Advisor’s Recommendation for Extension of Program of Study. Forms here:
- Students I-20/DS-2019 Extension Request: Advisor's Recommendation
- J-1 Exchange Visitor (Scholars) Request for Extension of Program Form
- We will contact you when your new I-20 or DS-2019 is ready.
You Need to Know
- Submit your extension request as soon as possible, at least one to two months prior to the expiration of your current I-20 form.
- Be sure to keep all I-20 or DS-2019 forms you have been issued.