Are you Eligible for CPT?
Students in F-1 status who have been enrolled full-time at Michigan Tech for at least one full academic year are eligible for Curricular Practical Training. Other eligibility factors:
- You maintain valid F-1 status.
- You have a co-op position directly related to your major area of studies.
- You maintain health insurance coverage while you are on CPT, including over the summer.
- You are registered and maintain enrollment in the co-op credits(s) through Michigan Tech's Career Services Office.
You Need to Know
CPTs require I-20 work authorizations that are issued one semester at a time. So, you must reapply for CPT every semester—even if there are no changes to your job.
- CPT is only available before you complete your degree.
- You must have a job offer when you apply.
- You cannot delay finishing your academic program because of your job.
You can do CPT during the academic year or the summer.