Are you Eligible for CPT?

Students in F-1 status who have been enrolled full-time at Michigan Tech for at least one full academic year, with at least 24 undergraduate credits or 18 graduate credits in their current degree program, are eligible for Curricular Practical Training. Other eligibility factors:

  • You maintain valid F-1 status. 
  • You have a co-op position directly related to your major area of studies.
  • You maintain health insurance coverage while you are on CPT, including over the summer.
  • You are registered and maintain enrollment in the co-op credits(s) through Michigan Tech's Career Services Office.

You Need to Know

CPTs require I-20 work authorizations that are issued one semester at a time. So, you must reapply for CPT every semester—even if there are no changes to your job.

  • CPT is only available before you complete your degree.
  • You must have a job offer when you apply.
  • You cannot delay finishing your academic program because of your job.

You can do CPT during the academic year or the summer.