FAQs on Transferring to Michigan Tech


I have been accepted in a graduate program at MTU. Does this mean that my transfer of F-1 is also complete?

NO. All F-1 or J-1 students must complete the International Transfer Procedure to be considered as F-1 or J-1 student at MTU. The information on Transfer Procedure is available online.


My visa is valid but it is for another U.S. University. I have transferred to MTU as an F-1 student. Do I have to go outside the United States to get a visa stamp indicating MTU to continue my studies at MTU?

NO. However, F-1 or J-1 students are required to have an MTU I-20 or DS-2019 indicating that they have completed their transfer from another university to MTU. The MTU I-20 or DS-2019 will be used by students if they travel abroad and apply for the F-1 or J-1 visa so they can re-enter the United States.