Enrollment Deposit (ESL, First-Year, and Transfer students)
The $100 enrollment deposit is required of all undergraduate ESL, First-Year and Transfer students (NOT for Exchange or Graduate students) enrolling at Michigan Tech—payment deadline is July 1, 2011.
Your deposit can be paid on line by e-check or credit card (MasterCard, or Discover):
- Log into MyMichiganTech
- In the 'Application Status' section, click on 'Pay Your Enrollment Deposit'
- Next, click on 'Student Services & Financial Aid'
- Finally, click on the last item on the list: 'Enrollment Deposit'; choose 'Make Payment Electronically' and follow directions
You may also submit the $100 Enrollment Deposit by check or money order drawn on a US bank and made payable in US funds to Michigan Technological University. Please make sure your bank has a routing number encoded on your check and send it, marked for Enrollment Deposit, student's full name, Michigan Tech ID (M number) to the following address:
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931
How to Bring Tuition Monies
Many of you have asked how to make your tuition payment and in what form you should carry monies with you when you travel to Michigan Tech in Houghton.
According to local banking representatives, students have several options:
- Have your bank at home provide a check, drawn on a U.S. bank, in dollars, made out to the student, in the amount you need for your first semester (housing, tuition, fees, insurance, personal expenses: about $15,000 or ½ the amount on line 8c of your I-20). You can open an account at Wells Fargo Bank as soon as you arrive, deposit the check, and you will be able to draw on the account immediately to pay your tuition and other expenses.
- Purchase Traveler’s Checks, in U.S. dollars, in the amount you need, bring them with you and deposit the money in your new Wells Fargo account, as indicated above.
- Credit Card payments: on-line only (in the U.S., from home, or from anywhere). On your MyMichiganTech, follow the links for your bill and payment options. Your bill will be auto-set to 15 credits, all fees (vary by department), and room and board (if a housing contract has been signed; if not, housing costs will be assessed and paid upon arrival). Any additional charges or overcharges will be adjusted, and paid or reimbursed, after registration. NOTE: if you already have a U.S. checking account, payment can be made on-line with it, also.
- WIRE TRANSFER for Spring, Summer and Fall semesters:
To make payments by wire transfer, contact the Accounting Office at Michigan Tech by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org for wire transfer information you will need to bring to your bank
Please indicate the dollar amount to be transferred and reference the purpose of the wire (enrollment deposit, tuition and fees, housing, etc.), and for whom - STUDENT’S FULL NAME AND Michigan Tech ID#. Allow a minimum of 2 weeks for your account to be credited. There may be additional wire transfer service fees at your end.
Student/sponsor may also send, by overnight express, a cashier’s check, made out to “Michigan Technological University” drawn on a U.S. Bank, in U.S. dollars, and which includes above information.
Mail check to:
Michigan Tech University
International Programs and Services
200 Admin Bldg
1400 Townsend Dr.
Houghton, MI 49931
For FedEx/DHL: send e-mail to Maggie Thornton in Accounting apprising her of money being sent for that purpose, and to credit it to the IPS account.
At a bank, student or sponsor MUST indicate the following:
Student’s full name (as it appears on his/her passport)
Student’s Michigan Tech ID# M----------
Description (examples: “Enrollment Deposit and DHL express charges for documents”; “housing Fall 11/Spring 12”; “Summer SMILE program”, etc.).
Please do NOT carry large amounts of cash when you travel. It is not a secure way to bring your tuition and/or housing payment to the States. Pre-paid Debit Cards work well for everyday miscellaneous costs, but are NOT a convenient way to pay your college tuition and housing costs, since there is a $200-$600 limit on the amount you can withdraw each day (depending on the bank).
We hope this helps you plan your journey to Michigan Tech in Houghton.