Applicants intending to pursue a Michigan Tech Bachelor's degree who have completed some coursework at the post-secondary level are considered transfer students. Admission to Michigan Technological University is selective and competitive. Students with high motivation, a strong academic background as evidenced by above average grades at the secondary school level/college or university or standardized tests/exams, and leadership abilities are encouraged to apply.
2. Official English language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS or its equivalent) sent directly to Michigan Tech by the testing agency. A complete list of English language proficiency requirements is available. NOTE: Even if you do not meet our requirements, test scores are required to help us determine your current level of proficiency.
3. Official secondary transcripts or mark sheets. Must include final three years of secondary school with proof of completion, such as a Leaving Certificate or copy of Diploma. NOTE: Students who have completed two years of course work at the university level are only required to submit proof of completion. English translations must accompany all documents.
4. Official transcripts of all college/university previously attended or currently attending. Certified True Copies may be acceptable, with prior approval. English translations must accompany all documents.
5. Course-by-Course Evaluation conducted by one of the pre-approved US-based credentials evaluators below:
- AACRAO International Education Services
- Foreign Credentials Service of America
- Foreign Credits
- World Education Services
NOTE: Students must make sure to request the service which provides a detailed course-by-course evaluation. This service will provide the name of the course, the credits earned, and the US grade equivalent. Your application will not be considered complete until this evaluation has been received by the International Programs and Services Office. The evaluation is required by all applicants who studied at the college or university level outside of the United States and Canada. This evaluation is used to determine your admissibility only. Students who desire transfer credits must follow the process outlined below.
Upon admission and prior to issuance of the form I-20, please submit the documents listed below:
1. A completed Affidavit of Financial Support form.
2. Bank statement demonstrating sufficient funds for at least one full year of studies.
NOTE: Both documents must be dated no earlier than 12 months before your intended start date. Applicants may scan and email the documents to us. Please make sure that your M#, given name and family name are included on each page.
3. Copy of passport information/photo page.
4. Students currently in the US are also required to complete a transfer in form.
To receive your admissions documents through express and secured delivery, please utilize eShipGlobal.
Applicants who desire transfer credits for prior work completed must submit a Michigan Tech approved certified translation of the syllabus and course description for each course taken. NOTE: The certified translation must be verified by Foreign Credits, an agency which has been contracted by Michigan Tech to verify the authenticity and accuracy of your translated documents. Failure to provide all documents at the time of application may result in the forfeiture of credits that could be earned for courses completed prior to attending Michigan Technological University. To receive transfer credit, students must submit a syllabus, translated into English, of all courses taken. The syllabus must contain the following:
1. Course name
2. Course number
3. Start and end date of each course
4. Description of the course, including each topic covered
5. Name of textbook(s) used including title, author, edition, and date of publication
Transfer credit is awarded only after the submitted syllabi have been evaluated by Michigan Tech faculty in the appropriate department for equivalent content. Michigan Tech reserves the right to award transfer credit following its own policies and procedures. Comparable Michigan Tech courses with a US equivalent grade of "C" or higher are transferable. Courses listed on the official transcript with no grade or score, with grades of C- or below (D, F, below 1.0 on 4 point scale), Pass/Fail scores, Audit, or for 0 credit hours are not eligible for transfer credit. To ensure proper credit, students should submit all documents to the International Programs and Services Office at least 4 months prior to your intended start date.