Applying to Intensive English as a Second Language
Applying to the Program
You may apply for admission any time after September 1 of the year that precedes the academic year in which you wish to enroll. You should begin the application process as soon as possible after September 1 so that you have adequate time to obtain the necessary documents for your application and obtain your visa. Your complete credentials must be on file at Michigan Tech at least 30 days prior to your enrollment date. Your application and supporting documents are retained by Michigan Tech and will not be returned to you or forwarded to another college or university.
Required Information for Applying
In order to process your application, Michigan Tech requires the following items:
- Applicants must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score to be considered.
- A completed application to the University. On the application, you must indicate your intended field of study. Check out International Admissions and click on your student type in the left navigation menu to find your application. You may also submit an online application.
- Complete, official transcripts or grade sheets from all your secondary and post-secondary schools, showing the subjects taken and the grades received in each subject. Diplomas or certificates for government and university examinations must also show the subjects passed and the grades received. These documents must be written in English or must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Students who have attended a college or university in the United States must request that the registrar's office of the institution attended send an official transcript of these records to Michigan Tech.
- Completion of the financial statement section of the application form showing that you have the necessary finances for each year of undergraduate study at Michigan Tech.
- A written statement explaining how you have spent each year since completing secondary school.
- A recent photograph of yourself (if one is available).
Application Deadline Calendar
IESL courses are offered during Fall, Spring and Summer.
|Application Deadline||Term Begins||Term Ends|
|Spring||14||November 1||Mid January||April/May|
(Track A & B)
Fall & Spring Semesters (2013-2014)
SMILE - Summer Semester (Summer 2014)
(based on number of students)
|$130 - $180|
|Michigan Tech Student Fees||$350|
|International Programs and Services Fee||$100|
|Mandatory Medical Insurance||$125|
|Room and Board|
(double occupancy, 7 weeks)**
*All costs are subject to change.
**Other living arrangements available upon request —costs may vary.