Proficiency levels in the program are assigned based on student language performance on upon arrival at Michigan Tech. Language performance is based on all parts of the placement testing process. Faculty members use part of the first week of instruction to find out if students are accurately placed. Courses provide students with opportunities to perform language tasks that enable faculty to judge student proficiency levels.
There are four phases to the placement process:
- Phase I: TOEFL ITP, Test of Written English, and Interview
- Phase II: Placement into courses
- Phase III: In-course diagnostic evaluation
- Phase IV: Placement adjustments
TOEFL ITP Score
Listening, Speaking, and Pronounciation
|Writing and Grammar||520-549||55-57||0491||Academic|
|Reading and Vocabulary||520-549||52-53||0493||Academic|
Students who score lower or higher than the range:
- 449 and lower on the TOEFL ITP—Arrange for transfer or contract language study program if available.
- 550 and higher on the TOEFL ITP—Interview and writing sample to determine whether they exit completely with UN1012 or take ESL0491, 0492, 0493, or 0490 depending on sub-scores.
Test of Written English and interviews are additional placement measures