- (906) 487-3240
- Walker 326
Assistant Professor in Emergent Media, Humanities
- PhD, Purdue University
Through my interdisciplinary scholarship Dr. Wendy K. Z. Anderson seeks to use past research to develop theory and forward applied scholarship in the areas of identity, rhetoric, and power. She seeks to understand poststructural and postmodernist expressions of identity/ies to explain how people shape meaning from their experiences to influence the communities we live in. Her scholarship engages the contextual spaces of the Interweb, gaming, and mobile devices. She delves further into topics such as prosthesis, interface, literacy, disciplinary mechanisms, agency, activism, and affinity building. She values multiple research approaches and methods, but rely heavily on rhetorical and qualitative approaches due to the questions she studies.
She understands scholarship as a process of responding to the contexts she encounters. As part of academic dialogue, she intends her work to challenge and inspire others to continue their academic journeys; specifically in the areas of identity, rhetoric, and power that continue to shape people's physical and online lives.
Currently she is working to publish a co-authored, interdisciplinary work with Juliette Ludeker in Games and Culture as well as a book focused on racism in online spaces. Her work has also appeared in Women and Language.
Links of Interest
Digital Scholarly Work
- Anderson, W. K. Z., defining digital humanities: movement from new to digital media scholarship. See at http://www.hu.mtu.edu/~wkzander/files/site/splash (MTU, Houghton, MI), (January 15, 2012 - May 29, 2012).
- Anderson, Wendy K. Z., Ludeker, Juliette M., "Playing with Constrained Agency: Video Games and Question of “Choice"", Women in Games, University of Warwick, Coventry, England.
- Anderson, Wendy K. Z., "Codified: Coded Existence in the Age of Digital Arrangement", Conference on College Composition and Communication, Saint Louis, MO, Oral. (March 13, 2012 - March 16, 2012).
- Anderson, Wendy K. Z., Grace, Kittie E., "Dr. Mama Gone Digital: Online Social Media as Support and Social Change for Academic Mothe", Organization for Research on Women in Communication., Albuquerque, NM, Oral. (February 17, 2012 - February 20, 2012).
- Anderson, Wendy K. Z., "Digitizing Whiteness: Understanding White Nationalist Racial Identity and Identity Politic.", Central States Communication Association, Central States Communication Association, Milwaukee, WI, Oral. (April 6, 2011 - April 9, 2011).