Staff Employment Process Checklist
The following information is a comprehensive overview of the necessary steps to hire a staff member, from position authorization to hiring a candidate.
1. Complete the Position Authorization Form
Seek proper approvals through Manager/Director level and send form to Human Resources. Download the Position Authorization Form.
2. Develop the Job Description
Develop a clear position description, with Human Resources, that includes minimum qualifications, and essential duties and responsibilities.
3. Form a Diverse Search Committee
An interview committee is a task-oriented group. Members need to attend, contribute, cooperate, and communicate. Record keeping, coordinating schedules, and completing tasks is the responsibility of the committee chair/leader. Learn more about interview committee responsibilities.
ALL external advertisements paid and free must be approved by both Human Resources and Affirmative Programs Office. Learn more about advertising your job.
5. Equal Employment Opportunity Self Disclosure Form For Staff
The EEO form is an invitation to All applicants to voluntarily disclose their sex, veteran, and ethnic origin. All applicants should be given this opportunity. This information is disclosed by using the Equal Employment Opportunity Self Disclosure Form (EEO form).
If the position is posted through PeopleAdmin, the EEO form is automatically generated by PeopleAdmin.
The EEO form is also available from the Affirmative Programs Office or Download Equal Employment Opportunity Self Disclosure Form.
6. Develop criteria for moving candidates through the process (required and desirable) based on duties and position requirements from the job description.
Remember that you will need to document any decisions made about candidates, either from further examination of applications, resumes, or cover letters or interviews (phone or in-person). Learn about developing selection criteria.
Applications must be reviewed and considered until the interviews start.
7. Department Conducts Interviews
Human Resources should have preapproved questions that are used during the interview. Learn more about conducting successful interviews.
8. Reference checks
Human Resources conducts reference checks at department’s request OR Department conducts reference checks using questions reviewed by Human Resources. Learn more about checking references.
9. Candidate Selection
10. Applicant Flow Log
The applicant flow log is completed after the candidate has been selected.
11. Affirmative Programs Office Reviews Hiring Documentation
Hiring Documentation includes:
- Applicants/Resumes of Interviewed and Rejected Candidates
- Staff Hiring Activity Record
12. New Employee Completed Legal Paperwork
The new employee reports to Human Resources on or before their first scheduled day of work to complete paper work.
- Documentation needed – picture ID and Social Security Card; work authorization (if applicable).
- Benefit orientation will be scheduled at this time (if applicable).