The following steps will help assist you in finding the right candidate and simplify the process of promoting your position while meeting federal and state standards.
Decide Where to Place your Ad
When placing an ad for a position a good faith effort should be made to see that all advertisements reach a diverse population. The job advertisement should be tailored to the position and posted appropriately. For example: hourly positions should be advertised locally, administrative positions require a regional search, and faculty positions require a national search.
Local Places to Advertise
Local advertisements would include advertisements in the surrounding counties: Houghton/Keweenaw, Baraga, and Ontonagon.
- Michigan Works
- Daily Mining Gazette
- Tech Today
Regional Places to Advertise
Regional advertisements would include advertisements in the surrounding states: MI, WI, IL, OH, and MN. This type of advertisement could include journals, newspapers, and university placement office that offers the degree required for the position you are advertising. Some common newspaper resources are provided below.
- Marquette Mining Journal
- Detroit Free Press
- Ann Arbor - News
- Flint - Journal
- Lansing - State Journal
- News from Indian Country (indiancountrynews.com)
- Green Bay Press Gazette
- Milwaukee - Journal & Sentinel
- Minneapolis - Star & Tribune
- Chicago - Tribune
- Sault Ste. Marie - News
Decide the Type of Advertising and Confirm Requirements
- Classified or Word Ad - Small ad that will appear in the classified section. Charge is by word. Must include equal opportunity statement.
- Display Ad - A boxed ad set off with white space and with a border around it. Charge is by column inch. Must include equal opportunity statement and Michigan Tech Logo.
- Classified Display Ad - A display ad that will appear in the classified section. Charge is by column inch. Must include equal opportunity statement and Michigan Tech Logo.
- Online Ads- Include banner ads and type ads. Carefully review the specifications of your online ad as they vary from service to service, and site to site.
Write the Ad Copy
First and foremost, all advertisements whether they were paid for or free MUST be approved by Human Resources.
Advertisements need to include:
- Title of Position
- List of duties to be performed by the candidate (optional)
- Requirements for degree(s), years of experience and any other qualification requirements
Advertisements must include the following text:
- “Apply at www.jobs.mtu.edu/user/new”
- Complete job descriptions are available at www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/search
- Michigan Technological University is an equal opportunity educational institution/equal opportunity employer. View other Equal Opportunity statement options.
- Consider using proactive language.
Complete a Purchase Requisition Form