Take a Break - Fall 2017
If you plan to stay in the hall during break, please register online here by November 16. You must also register if you plan to return early, prior to November 26. There is no extra charge to stay over the fall break.
Kitchenettes will be open in all residence halls over the break period.
All residence hall entrances will be locked at 8:00pm on Friday, November 17. You can enter the building using your student ID while the doors are locked. The main entrance doors will reopen on Sunday, November 26 at 12:00 noon.
The Dining Halls will close after lunch in DHH and McNair, and after Dinner (6:00pm) in Wads on Friday, November 17.
Wadsworth dining hall will be open Sunday, November 26 from 10:00am - 6:00pm
Douglass Houghton Hall
Library Cafe & North Coast Grill
MUB Food Mall
Please move your bike out of the summer bike racks before you leave for Thanksgiving break. Summer bike racks will be removed during the Thanksgiving Break. Abandoned bikes left in summer bike racks will be removed.
External winter bike racks are available in the following locations only:
- DHH--at the east end of the building
- Hillside--on the West end of the building in the covered bike rack
- Wadsworth--between the loading dock and the 3rd floor entrance
- McNair--in the vertical racks in the West McNair courtyard and the rack by the dining hall entrance near the McNair loading dock
Students may also store their bikes internally during the winter with their hall council. WHSA, MHA, and DHHC will have scheduled times posted to meet with students to place bikes in internal winter storage in Wadsworth, McNair, and Douglass Houghton Hall. Bikes can be retrieved in the spring. There is no fee to store bikes in internal storage for the duration of the winter. All bikes placed in internal storage must be registered with the Department of Public Safety and Police Services before they can be stored inside the building.
- take your bike home
- put it in winter storage with WHSA, MHA, or DHC, or
- move it to external winter bike racks before Thanksgiving break begins on November 18.
We encourage you to leave your car at home if you don’t use it on a regular basis due to the narrowing of parking lots in the winter.
If you are leaving your vehicle on campus during break, you must park it in the northwest side of commuter Lot 26 by Sunday, November 19 and move it back into your assigned lot by Sunday, November 26 by noon. If you leave it in your assigned lot, it may be towed away at owner’s expense. For more information, contact Transportation Services in the Administration Building.
Guidelines for upcoming holiday decorations.
- Trees and other decorations are only allowed in student rooms.
- To decorate in other areas, see Housing Staff for approval.
- Artificial trees are permitted, but natural trees are not due to their flammable nature.
- All electric items must have UL seal approval.
- No candles or flammable decorations.
- No electric devices are allowed on metallic trees.
- Decorations must be removed by no later than 12:00 noon on December 17.
Energy and Security
- Unplug any non-essential electrical equipment
- Refrigerators with food may be left on
- Close and lock your windows
- Turn off your lights
- Lock your door
All residence hall reception desks will close at 8:00pm on Friday, November 17, and will reopen for normal business at 12:00pm on Sunday, November 26.
There will be no mail service during the break. All mail will be held at the desks and slotted when the desks reopen.
All checked-out items must be returned to the desk by 8:00pm on Thursday, November 16.
Michigan Tech Rideboard
Check out Michigan Tech’s very own Rideboard.
Do you need a ride someplace for break? You can post a ride request for others to see.
Are you making a road trip and looking for an extra rider? Post your trip and others will find you.
Commuting to Michigan Tech and want to save gas? Make a carpool listing today.