The Pavlis Honors College currently offers the following scholarships and awards to any undergraduate students in our Honors Pathway Program. In order to be eligible for these, you must be enrolled in the Honors College through one of our six pathways: Global Leadership, Enhanced Enterprise Experience, New Venture, Research Scholars, Peace Corps Prep, or Custom Pathway.
Pavlis Honors College Dean's Scholarship
The Pavlis Honors College Dean’s Scholarship will be awarded to one Honors student annually in the amount of $1000 to recognize their outstanding commitment to our programs and pathways. This student consistently volunteers their time to design, plan and implement recruitment efforts to grow the Pavlis community. They take a leading role to ensure the successful implementation of ideas and events. This student goes above and beyond to engage with students and faculty on a meaningful level and has a significantly positive effect on College enrollment. Overall, this student is passionate about the Pavlis Honors College and enthusiastically shares their passion with the campus community whenever they are able to. The 2017-18 PHC Dean's Scholarship recipient was Christine Wood.
Global Travel Award
The Global Travel Fund supports Pavlis Honors Pathway Program students traveling domestically and internationally to foster the development of cultural awareness and invaluable professional skills. Potential recipients of this award may use funds to travel to a professional conference or abroad to implement design projects. The Pavlis Honors College will grant up to $250 for domestic travel and $500 for international travel. Students eligible for this award must be able to articulate how their travel relates to their honors program and must be enrolled in the Pavlis Honors Pathway Program.
In order to apply, please submit a request by email to Dean Lorelle Meadows (email@example.com) including the following:
- Itemized travel budget
- Statement noting any other travel-related funding you have received
- Explain how your travel relates to your Honors Pathway
Pavlis Honors College Departmental Scholar Award
The Departmental Scholar Award is given to an undergraduate student who best represents student scholarship at the Pavlis Honors College. This outstanding student is considered excellent not only by academic standards, but also for participation in research scholarship activity, levels of intellectual curiosity, creativity, and communication skills. Student recipients will be awarded $200 cash from the PHC and will also be nominated for the Provost's Award for Scholarship.
Community Ambassador Scholarship
The Community Ambassador Scholarship Program has two main goals:
- Provide opportunities for students to volunteer in the local community in preparation for and after returning from Peace Corps together with a supportive community for reflection and accountability.
- Develop meaningful relationships between Michigan Tech and community organizations in the Keweenaw for sustainable, long-term, mutually beneficial partnerships.
Students awarded a $500 Community Ambassador Scholarship commit to:
- Being on campus the semester of the award.
- Volunteering at least 25 hours with an approved community organization during the semester in which the scholarship is given.
- Attending an initial two hour training at the start of the semester
- Attending one hour meetings with other Community Ambassadors twice a month. Students will be required to bring a log of volunteer hours to their meetings twice a month.
- Writing a final report at the end of the semester.
Soyring Foundation Scholarship
The Soyring Foundation Scholarship is available exclusively to students enrolled in the Pavlis Honors Pathway Program through a generous gift from Tech alumnus and Pavlis External Advisory Board member John Soyring.
The scholarship is $1000 and is available to Honors students expressing interest in research and innovation in any of these three areas:
- water quality management
- renewable energy
- solutions to prevent and cure cancer
Applications for this opportunity are open during the spring semester each year. Scholarship funds will be awarded to one deserving student the following fall semester. For more information about this scholarship, please contact Paige Hackney (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Enterprise Program Scholarships and Awards
We also encourage students to apply for the following externally funded opportunities. As part of the Pavlis Honors College, you may qualify for priority admission and scholarship consideration through our NCHC membership.
Barry Goldwater Scholarship
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship is for sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue research careers in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering.