Sarah A. Green
- Professor, Chemistry
- BA, Chemistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1983
- PhD, MIT/WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Texas, Austin
Dr. Sarah A. Green is interested in all aspects of environmental chemistry from molecular analytical methods to global climate change, including the science policy interface.
Dr. Green has been a member of the Chemistry Department at Michigan Tech since 1994 and served as Department Chair from 2004 to 2013. She was awarded a Jefferson Science Fellowship to serve in the Bureau of East Asia-Pacific Affairs in the U.S. Department of State (2013-14). Dr. Green currently serves as co-vice chair for the Scientific Advisory Panel on the Sixth Global Environmental Outlook (GEO-6), United Nations Environment Programme.
- Climate change communication
- Science-policy interface
- Response of aquatic systems to climate change
- Great Lakes
- Behavior of metal-contaminated sediments in the Lake Superior basin
- Fluorescence-based analytical methods
- Aerosol chemistry
- Origin and fate of dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in terrestrial, lake, and marine environments
- Methods for detection of free radicals, photochemical transformations of natural and anthropogenic organic compounds in the environment
- integration of biological, geological, physical, and chemical data for understanding global cycles.
- Hering, J. G., D. A. Dzombak, S.A. Green, R. G. Luthy, D. Swackhamer. (2014). Engagement at the Science–Policy Interface. Environmental Science and Technology, 48 (19), 11031–11033.
- Cook, J., Nuccitelli, D., Green, S. A., Richardson, M., Winkler, B., Painting, R., R. Way, P. Jacobs, A. Skuce (2013). Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature. Environmental Research Letters, 8(2), 024024. Read More
- Kerfoot, W. C., Yousef, F., Green, S. A., Regis, R., Shuchman, R., Brooks, C. N., Sayers, M., et al. (2012). Light detection and ranging (LiDAR) and multispectral studies of disturbed Lake Superior coastal environments. Limnology And Oceanography, 57(3), 749–771. doi:10.4319/lo.2012.57.3.0749.
- Zhu, S., Zhang, J., Vegesna, G., Luo, F.-T., Green, S. A., & Liu, H. (2011). Highly water-soluble neutral BODIPY dyes with controllable fluorescence quantum yields. Organic letters, 13(3), 438–441. doi:10.1021/ol102758z.
- Kerfoot, W. C., F. Yousef, S. A. Green, J. W. Budd, D. J. Schwab, and H. A. Vanderploeg (2010), Approaching storm: Disappearing winter bloom in Lake Michigan, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 36, 30-41.
- Qiu, R., S. A. Green, R. E. Honrath, M. C. Peterson, Y. Lu, and M. Dziobak (2002), Measurements of JNO3- in Snow by Nitrate-Based Actinometry, Atmospheric Environment, 36, 2563-2571.
- Jia, M., Tang, Y., Lam, Y-F., Green, S. A., & Blough, N. V. (2009). Prefluorescent nitroxide probe for the highly sensitive determination of peroxyl and other radical oxidants. Analytical Chemistry, 81(19), 8033–8040. doi:10.1021/ac901374m.
- Donuru, V. R., G. K. Vegesna, S. Velayudham, S. Green, and H. Y. Liu (2009), Synthesis and Optical Properties of Red and Deep-Red Emissive Polymeric and Copolymeric BODIPY Dyes, Chemistry of Materials, 21(10), 2130-2138.
- Green, Sarah A., Ralph, Elise, Cates, Angela, and Bud, Judy, "Lake Superior Science from the Ranger III." Presented at:Lake Superior Parks Research Conference, Houghton. (2001)
- Warrington, D.S., Budd, J.W., Stumpf, R.P., and Green, S.A., "Satellite-derived chlorophyll and turbidity estimates using SeaWiFS (Sea-Viewing Wide Field-of-view Sensor) Imagery." Presented at:43RD Annual IAGLR Conference Great Lakes, Cornwall, Ontario. (2000)
- Qiu, Ruiqing, Green, Sarah A., Honrath, Richard E., Peterson, Matthew C., Lu, Yanyan, and Dziobak, Mike, "Measurement of JNO3 in Snow by Nitrate-Based Chemical Actinometry." American Geophysical Union, San Francisco. (2000)
- Green, S., Vodacek, A., Ma, X., and Wells-Budd, J., "The optical environment of Lake Superior." Presented at:American Chemical Society, Pacific Rim, Honolulu. (2000)
- Pishko, Adrian L. and Green, Sarah A., "Chemiluminescent Determination of Photochemically Generated Cu(I) in Natural Waters." Presented at:American Chemical Society, Pacific Rim, Honolulu. (2000)
- Flicker, Thomas Marn. (2000) Detection of carbon-centered free radicals from post-combustion gases. PhD, MTU.
- Green, Sarah A. and Vodacek, Anthony, "KITES: gradients in light absorbing and scattering materials associated with the thermal bar and Keweenaw Current in Lake Superior." Presented at:American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, Santa Fe. (1999)