- Senior Scientist, Great Lakes Research Center and Michigan Tech Research Institute
- Adjunct Professor, Biological Sciences
- BS, Biology and Chemistry (cum laude), Eastern Michigan University
- MS, Biology, Michigan Technological University
- PhD, Aquatic Ecology, University of Michigan
My interest is the limnology of the Great Lakes. While my expertise is very limited, i.e, primary productivity, phytoplankton dynamics, etc., I am interested in almost anything to do with the Laurentian Great Lakes. Moreover, I find it a privilege to have spent my entire life enjoying and studying the Great Lakes.
- Limnology of the Great Lakes
- Primary productivity
- Phytoplankton dunamics
- Laurentian Great Lakes
- Evans, M., G. L. Fahnenstiel, and D. Scavia. 2011. Incidental oligotrophication of North American Great Lakes.Environmental Science & Technology. Env. Sci. Technol. 45:3297-3303.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L. S. Pothoven, T. Nalepa, H. Carrick, D. Scavia. 2010. Lake Michigan lower food-web: Long-term trends and Dreissenia impact. J. Great Lakes Res. 36:(S3)1-4.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L. S. Pothoven, T. Nalepa, H. Vanderploeg, D. Klarer, and D. Scavia. 2010. Recent changes in primary production and phytoplankton in the offshore region of southeastern Lake Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 36:(S3)20-29.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L., D. F. Millie, J. Dyble, R. W. Litaker, P. A. Tester, M. J. McCormick, R. Rediske, and D. Klarer. 2008. Microcystin concentrations and cell quotas in Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. Aquat. Ecosyt. Health and Management. 11:190-195.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L., R. A. Stone, M. J. McCormick, C. L. Schelske, and S. E. Lohrenz. 2000. Spring isothermal mixing in the Great Lakes: Evidence of nutrient limitation in a sub-optimal light environment. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Res. 57:1901-1910.
- McCormick, M. J. and G. L. Fahnenstiel. 1999. Recent climatic trends in nearshore water temperatures in the St. Lawrence Great Lakes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 44:530-540.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L., A. E. Krause, M. J. McCormick, H. J. Carrick, and C. L. Schelske. 1998. The structure of the planktonic food-web in the St. Lawrence Great Lakes. J. Great Lakes Res. 24: 531-554.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L. G. A. Lang, T. F. Nalepa, and T. Johengen. 1995. Water quality parameters in Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron: Effects of zebra mussel (Dreissena polymorpha) colonization. J. Great Lakes Res. 21:435-448.