Mary H. Durfee
"Good things come in small packages—you can get a GREAT liberal arts education from us. Our graduates get jobs and enroll in fine graduate programs at universities like Yale, Michigan, and Johns Hopkins."
- Professor Emerita
- PhD, Cornell University, 1990
- MA, Cornell, 1984
- BA, University of Colorado, 1974
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Great Lakes of North America
- International Law
- Scholarship of Pedagogy
- Arctic Affairs
- “Multilateral Environmental Commitments: The Prospects for State Responsibility,” in Norman Martinez, ed., To Serve the Rule of Law: Essays in Honour of David Attard, Mare Nostrum Press, Malta, 2009
- “The Hegemon and the Professions,” International Studies Perspectives, Nov. 2006.
- “Can the Great Lakes of North America Survive Globalization?” Co-authored with Mirit Shamir. Bilateral Ecopolitics, Philippe LePrestre and Peter Stoett, editors. Ashgate: 2006.
- James Rosenau and Mary Durfee, Thinking Theory Thoroughly 2nd ed (currently working on a new version) Westview, 2000
- Durfee, May H. and Frederick R. Inscho, "The Troubled Renewal of the Canada-Ontario Agreement Respecting Great Lakes Water Quality, Publius 1995, 25(1):51-70. Read More
- Fulbright 10 mo in Malta and a follow on grant. US Dept of State
- NSF IGERT (~4 million) co-pi now complete, NSF Grant No. DGE 0333401
- Fulbright to Hungary for Fall 2014, Sponsored by Corvinus University of Budapest and by the Hungarian Institute for International Affairs.
- “Information Transparency and the Evolution of US-Canada Relations.” Paper for 2010 annual meeting of the International Studies Association, New Orleans.Feb. 6-20, 2010.
- The U.S. Presidential Elections, Mediterranean Academy of Diplomacy, University of Malta, May 7, 2012; University of Rostock, Germany, June 14, 2012.
- Public Lecture, Alworth Institute, University of Minnesota, Duluth, “Why Obama Won the Peace Prize. Nov 2011.
- Invited speaker, "Policy Frameworks for Great Lakes Environmental Problems." Symposium on the Great Lakes, September 2006, Western Michigan University.
- SS3600 US Foreign Policy
- SS3610 International Law
- SS46/5610 Environmental Diplomacy and Law
- SS2635 Comparative Politics