Colleen B. Mouw
Assistant Professor, Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
- Ph.D. Oceanography, University of Rhode Island
Dr. Mouw's research focuses on understanding physical and chemical drivers of biological variability in aquatic systems. Her laboratory characterizes optical variability of aquatic water bodies necessary for algorithm development/evaluation and refinement leading to novel satellite products and improvement of product performance in optically complex systems. She works across a spectrum of spatial scales including inland lakes, Great Lakes and oceans. Her laboratory uses a variety of aquatic satellite products and in situ observations to understand the response of aquatic systems to environmental change in oceans and lakes.
- Oceanography and Limnology
- Aquatic optics and remote sensing
- Development of novel aquatic satellite products
- Aquatic biogeochemical processes
- Phytoplankton ecology
- Response of aquatic systems to environmental change
- Brewin, R., S. Sathyendranath, A. Bricaud, A. Ciotti, E. Devred, T. Hirata, T. Kostadinov, H. Loisel, C. B. Mouw, and J. Uitz. (2014). Chapter 4. Detection of phytoplankton size structure by remote sensing, In, Phytoplankton Functional Types from Space. Sathyendranath, S. (Ed.), Reports of the International Ocean Color Coordinating Group, No. 15, IOCCG, Dartmouth, Canada. Read More
- Sathyendranath, S., H. Sosik, J. Aiken, S. Alvain, R. Barlow, L. Clementson, N. Hardman-Mountford, T. Hirata, J. Morales, A. Nair, C. B. Mouw and V. Stuart, Chapter 1. General Introduction. (2014). In, Phytoplankton Functional Types from Space. Sathyendranath, S. (Ed.), Reports of the International Ocean Color Coordinating Group, No. 15, IOCCG, Dartmouth, Canada. Read More
- D’Sa, E., J.I. Goes, H. Gomes, C.B. Mouw (2014) Absorption and fluorescence properties of the eastern Bering Sea in the summer with special reference to the influence of a cold pool. Biogeosciences, accepted.
- Mouw, C.B., H. Chen, G.A. McKinley, S. Effler, D. O’Donnell, M.G. Perkins, C. Strait. Evaluation and optimization of bio-optical inversion algorithms for remote sensing of Lake Superior’s optical properties, J. Geophysical Research, 118, 1696-1714, doi: 10.1002/2011JC007690. Read More
- Naik, P., E.J. D’Sa, H. Gomes, J.I. Goés, and C.B. Mouw. Light absorption properties in southeastern Bering Sea during July 2008: analysis, parameterization and absorption budget, Remote Sensing of Environment, 134, 120-134. Read More
- Wang, J., H. Hu, J. Goes, J. Miksis-Olds, C.B. Mouw, E. D’Sa, H. Gomes, D.R. Wang, K. Mizobata, S. Saitoh, L. Luo. Modeling seasonal variations of sea ice and plankton in the Bering and Chukchi Seas during 2007-2008, J. Geophysical Research, 118, 1520-1533, doi: 10.1029/2012JC008322. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. and S. Greb (2012) Workshop for Remote Sensing of Coastal and Inland Water; Madison, Wisconsin, 20-22 June 2012, EOS, DOI: 10.1029/2012EO390006. Read More
- Mouw, C.B., J.A. Yoder, and S.C. Doney (2012) Impact of phytoplankton community size on a linked global optical and ecosystem model, J. Marine Systems, 89: 61-75, doi: 10.1016/j.jmarsys.2011.08.002. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. and J.A. Yoder (2010) Optical determination of phytoplankton size composition from global SeaWiFS imagery. J. Geophysical Research,115, C12018, doi: 10.1029/1020JC006337. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. (2009) Bio-optical and remote sensing investigation of phytoplankton community size structure. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Rhode Island (USA), 138 pp.
- Martini, K., E. Frajka-Williams, and C.B. Mouw, (2009) The Pattullo Conference: Building Community Through Mentoring. Oceanography 22(1): 180-183. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. and J.A. Yoder (2005) Primary production calculations in the Mid-Atlantic Bight, including effects of phytoplankton community size structure. Limnology and Oceanography 50(4): 1232-1243. Read More
- Mouw, C.B. (2003) Primary production calculations in the Mid-Atlantic Bight, including effects of phytoplankton community size structure. M.S. Thesis, University of Rhode Island (USA), 112 pp.
- Fahnenstiel, G. L., C. Beckmann, S. E. Lohrenz, D. F. Millie, O. M. E. Schofield, and M. J. McCormick (2002) Standard Niskin and Van Dorn bottles inhibit phytoplankton photosynthesis in Lake Michigan. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol., 28(1): 376-380. Read More