- MEEM 1009
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Faculty Advisor, SENSE Enterprise
- PhD, Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech
Dr. Nina Mahmoudian is an assistant professor in the Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics Department at Michigan Technological University. Before joining Michigan Tech in January 2011, Mahmoudian worked as a research associate for Collective Dynamics and Control Laboratory in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Maryland. Dr. Mahmoudian received her Ph.D. in aerospace engineering from Virginia Tech in December 2009. She is a recipient of 2015 National Science Foundation CAREER award and 2015 Office of Naval Research YIP award.
Dr. Mahmoudian is the founding director of the Nonlinear and Autonomous Systems Laboratory (NAS Lab). Dr. Mahmoudian's general research interests lie in the area of dynamics, stability, and control of nonlinear systems. Specifically, she is interested in dynamic modeling, motion planning, and developing cooperative control algorithms to autonomous vehicles. Mahmoudian’s research approach combines fundamental research with applied research to facilitate a seamless transition between academic modeling/simulation problem solving approaches and real-world applications. She works on developing analytical and computational tools for the cooperative control of a network of autonomous vehicles in complex environment using nonlinear control and stochastic analysis. The application will be for air, ground, and sea autonomous vehicles.
Areas of Expertise
- Dynamics and Control
- Unmanned Systems
- Nonlinear Systems and Control
- Cyber-physical Systems
- Coordination and Control of Networked Multi-Agent Systems
- Motion Planning in Complex Environments
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) with Special Interest in Underwater Gliders
- Rastgaar, Mohammad, and Mahmoudian, Nina, "Robustness of Orthogonal Eigenstructure Control to Actuators Failure" Nonlinear Approaches in Engineering Applications 2, Editors: R.N. Jaza and L. Dai, Springer, New York, pp. 137-166, ISBN: 978-1-4614-6877-6, DOI; 10.1007/978-1-4614-6877-6 5.
- Mitchell B., Wilkening E., and Mahmoudian N., 2013, “Underwater Gliders for Lake Marine Research,” American Control Conference, Washington, DC, June 17-19, 2013.
- Mitchell B., Wilkening E., and Mahmoudian N., 2013, “Developing an Educational Underwater Glider,” International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Karlsruhe, Germany, May 6-10, 2013.
- Weaver W., Mahmoudian N., and Parker G., 2012, “Autonomous Mobile Power Blocks for Prepositioned Power Conversion and Distribution,” TARDEC Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium, Dearborn, MI, August 14-16, 2012.
- Mahmoudian, N., and Paley, D. A., 2011, “Synchronization on the N-torus with noisy measurements,” American Control Conference, San Francisco, CA, June 29-July 1, 2011.
- Mahmoudian, N., Woolsey, C., and Geisbert, J., 2010, “Approximate Analytical Turning Conditions for Underwater Gliders: Implications for Motion Control and Path Planning,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 131-143.
- Mahmoudian, N., and Woolsey, C., 2009, “Analysis of Feedforward/Feedback Control Design for Underwater Glider Based on Slowly Varying Systems Theory,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, Chicago, IL, August 10-13, 2009.
- Jazar, G. N., Mahinfalah, M., Mahmoudian, N., and Rastgaar Aagaah, M., 2009, “Effects of Nonlinearities on the Steady State Dynamic Behavior of Electric Actuated Microcantilever-Based Resonators,” Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 15, No. 9, pp. 1283-1306.