- Research funding $4.5 million per year: Engineering News Record ranked the C&EE department as one of the top ten (out of 250) in the U.S. based on the percentage of departmental income
- Graduate students have access to more than 43,000 square feet of research and teaching laboratories with new state-of-the-art equipment.
- Michigan Tech's environmental engineering graduate program is ranked seventh in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. The department attracts more than $4.5 million in annual research expenditures.
- Michigan Tech scientists in Environmental Engineering are helping NASA optimize a new space station water system by making pee potable.
- The department maintains its own research vessel, the Agassiz, which allows researchers to take advantage of the largest freshwater laboratory in the world, Lake Superior.
Graduate Programs in Environmental Engineering
The PhD in Engineering (Environmental) is an interdisciplinary degree designed for the pursuit of advanced environmental engineering studies at Michigan Tech. As identified by the American Academy of Environmental Engineers, the professional discipline of environmental engineering is defined as “the application of engineering principles to improve and maintain the environment for the protection of human health, for the protection of nature’s beneficial ecosystems, and for the environment-related enhancement of the quality of human life.”
To complete a doctoral degree, students must complete the following milestones:
- Complete all course work and research credits (see credit requirements below)
- Pass Qualifying Examination
- Pass Research Proposal Examination
- Prepare and Submit Approved Dissertation
- Pass Final Oral Defense
The minimum credit requirements are as follows:
|Total Credit Requirements|
|MS–PhD (minimum)||30 credits|
|BS–PhD (minimum)||60 credits|
Individual programs may have higher standards and students are expected to know their program's requirements. See the Doctor of Philosophy Requirements website for more information about PhD milestones and related timelines.