Accelerated Master's Programs
Our unique accelerated master's program allows our current Michigan Tech undergraduate students to earn a MS degree with just a single year of study beyond their BS. The following programs are currently available as an accelerated program:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Mechanics
- Environmental Engineering
- Forestry (Master of Forestry)
- Geographic Information Science
- Integrated Geospatial Technology
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Informatics
Admissions requirements will vary by program. The following requirements (at a minimum) must be met in order to be eligible to enroll in an accelerated master's program:
- Students must complete both their bachelor's and master's degrees at Michigan Tech.
- Students need to apply prior to completing their undergraduate degree - students can apply once they have attained sophomore- or junior-level class standing (varies by program).
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above (minimum GPA varies by program).
- Students who are accepted to the program will not be allowed to continue if their cumulative GPA falls below 3.0. Students who are in this situation may contact the Graduate School about their options to be reinstated in the program.
Students accepted to an accelerated master's program must adhere to the Graduate School continuous enrollment policy, which states that students must be enrolled every academic-year semester (excludes summer) until they complete their degree. Students who want to defer their graduate program start date may do so, but will no longer be eligible to be in the accelerated program.
How to Apply
To apply to an accelerated master's program students must complete the following steps:
- Start an online graduate application for the term they plan to begin their graduate studies (i.e. the term after they will have fulfilled the requirements for their undergraduate degree - if this term is after the available online applications, apply to the latest term available. The Graduate School will update the term based on the additional information provided in the application.)
- Select "Accelerated Master's Program" as their "Area of Interest - 1st choice" in the "Planned Course of Study" section of the application.
- Submit the online application.
- Upload any other required application documents via MyMichiganTech. (Students do not need to submit Michigan Tech transcripts.) Students will receive access to their personalized MyMichiganTech website by email once the Graduate School has processed their online application.
The accelerated master's programs allow students to complete a master's degree in as little as one additional year of study beyond their bachelor's. Sample 5-year schedules are available on the program websites for students to view. Students accepted to an accelerated program may:
- Double-count 6 credits (approved by the Graduate Program Director) toward both the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Take courses under senior rule (with program approval).
Students will be considered undergraduates for the purposes of financial aid, tuition, and class standing until their undergraduate degree has been awarded.
View all of the programs offered at the Michigan Tech Graduate School.