Michigan Tech’s Graduate School is able to provide cost share for proposals authored by members of the graduate faculty and submitted through Michigan Tech according to the following guidelines.
- GACS support will only be made available to support graduate students pursuing the
highest degree awarded by a particular program.
- For example, if a graduate program offers a PhD degree in addition to an MS degree, GACS support will only be made available to support students pursuing the PhD degree.
- Once Michigan Tech’s commitment of graduate student support is disclosed in a proposal budget as cost share, Michigan Tech becomes contractually obligated at that level of support if the project is awarded.
- The dollars committed by the Graduate School for graduate student support must be
used to support graduate students.
- If a PI is unable to use GACS funding to support graduate students, the contractual obligation for cost share will have to be met using other funds (e.g., departmental or incentive account funds).
- PIs who encounter difficulties in using GACS support should contact the Graduate School
to renegotiate their cost-share agreement in a timely manner.
- PIs who fail to use graduate student funds in an appropriate way will not be eligible to receive GACS support in the future.
- The Sponsored Programs Office can answer routine questions about budgets and assist PIs in the preparation of budgets that will include GACS support.
- The Graduate School finance coordinator (currently Heather Suokas) will be the primary Graduate School contact person for the GACS program.
When cost share is mandatory
GACS support will be available.
- The Graduate School will provide up to a maximum of 50 percent of the total required
- For example, if the total cost of a project will be $50k and a 1:1 match is required from Michigan Tech ($25k), the Graduate School will commit up to a maximum of $12.5k in cost share (50 percent of the total required cost share).
- GACS will only be available for summer support (stipend plus minimum full-time tuition
- To be eligible for GACS summer support, proposals must also include full-time academic-year support for students so that students receive continuous support from the project using a combination of sponsor, university and/or, GACS funds.
- GACS cost-share summer support will be for a maximum of two students per project year. Incremental increases for multiple year budgets will not be included.
Support for large or strategic proposals
- GACS support may be available for large proposals (>$500k/year) that involve investigators from multiple units on campus and contribute significantly to the University’s mission.
- GACS support may also be available for proposals that reinforce strategic initiatives (e.g., the National Science Foundation CAREER program).
- Requests related to large and strategic proposals should be submitted through the
Graduate School finance coordinator.
- Requests will be considered on an individual basis by the dean of the Graduate School.
- Augmented GACS support for large proposals (>$500k/year) that also require cost-share will be considered on a case-by-case basis.