As part of the Graduate School application process, you are required to complete a statement of purpose and provide specific areas of interest that you have in association with your intended program. Depending on your intended plan of study, your statement of purpose may vary. You should pay careful attention to this section; many departments place strong emphasis on your statement.
Statement of Purpose
Your statement of purpose should:
- Demonstrate your passion for and knowledge of your intended plan of study using the language of the field
- Articulate how a graduate degree will help you achieve your future personal, professional, and career goals
- Specify your intended program, area of study, research interest(s), and desired advisor (if applicable)
- Describe your professional and/or presentation experience
- For research-based graduate degrees, also describe your research, enterprise, and/or publication experience
We encourage you to review the research interests of Michigan Tech faculty before writing your statement of purpose.
Areas of Interest
Programs that commonly have areas of interest associated with them have provided an Areas of Interest List to aid you in completing your application.
- Select up to three Areas of Interest in the online application. (Accelerated Master's, Peace Corps, OSM/VISTA, INVOGE, and Atlantis applicants must select this area as their 1st choice.)
- Choose to provide an "other area of interest" if your preference is not currently listed by the department or program
- Want to provide some additional information about your preference(s) when writing your statement of purpose