External Funding Opportunities
Research at Michigan Tech is about creating the future one discovery at a time. Michigan Tech ranks among the top twenty universities nationwide in terms of the percentage of research funded by industry. The Graduate School is available to help students identify funding opportunities and prepare a competitive proposal.
Proposal Incentive Award Program: The Graduate School encourages students to be proactive in seeking external funding. Eligible graduate students can receive incentive awards up to $100 for submitting research and/or fellowship proposals to external agencies.
Identify Opportunities for Funding
Students are encouraged to proactively search for funding opportunities. Most funding opportunities require students to apply at least one year in advance, so planning is required.
- Select opportunities and databases
- Federal and Michigan government programs
- Opportunities collated by the Pavlis honors college
- Cornell University's Fellowship Database
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Fellowship Database
- National Physical Science Consortium Fellowship—supports US citizens with an emphasis on underrepresented students in science and engineering.
- Zintellect —searchable database of internships, scholarships, and fellowships programs funded by government and private sector organizations including the National Laboratories, NASA, DOE, DOD
- GEM Graduate Fellowship Program—applications are accepted by the national GEM foundation for MS and PhD students from under-represented students in science and engineering.
- Kalamazoo Community Foundation - opportunities primarily for students from the Kalamazoo, MI region.
- Funding opportunities for Michigan Tech students
- Graduate School funding opportunities—Including DeVlieg Foundation fellowships and Finishing Fellowships
- King-Chavez-Parks Future Faculty Fellowship Program—assists students drawn from racial and ethnic groups that are underrepresented in science and engineering fields.
- Graduate Student Government sponsors travel grants, discretionary funds, and Graduate Student Recognition Awards.
Build Your Research Profile
Michigan Tech students have access to Grant Forward, and are encouraged to set up a research profile. This resource will allow you to:
- Build a research profile
- Identify matching funding opportunities based on your profile
- Display research interests and the evolution of interests across time
- Select privacy options to determine who can view your profile
Seek Help from Campus Resources
Once you begin your studies at Michigan Tech, proposal development advice is available from the Research Development office.