Public research institution Michigan Technological University is hiring an engagement officer.
Engagement Officer—Open Position
Does traveling across the United States, meeting and talking with successful Michigan Technological University alumni sound interesting? If so, read on.
Michigan Tech is looking for a dynamic, people-centric individual to assist the university with our philanthropic mission. If you thrive on meeting new people, then you are likely a professional who will find this position fulfilling. We want listeners who know how to engage with individuals from varied backgrounds. If you have a passion to work with people then this is your chance to be a difference maker by connecting amazing people to the students, faculty, staff, and programs at Michigan Tech.
The Engagement Officer is responsible for leading Michigan Tech’s emerging philanthropist and recent graduate engagement efforts. This position will be visiting with alumni discussing their philanthropic goals. Donor stewardship will be an essential element of this position. This position will assist the alumni engagement office with hosting events both on campus and in major markets across the country.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Discover opportunities for Michigan Tech’s emerging philanthropists to give to the university.
- Travel throughout the country energizing our recent graduate’s passion for the university and instilling a culture of philanthropy.
- Leading an alumni visit initiative inviting recent graduates to campus to speak to current students about their professions
- Connecting with recent graduates to creatively develop ways to volunteer their time and expertise with the university.
- Meeting with all of our graduates stewarding and thanking them for their support of the institution.
- Attending and coordinating alumni events both on and off campus.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- A bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited institution.
- At least 1 year of fundraising, admissions, sales, banking, management or equivalent experience is required (student employment experience counts)
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness for frequent travel that may range between 25% and 75% of the position on any given month.
- Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, oral, written skills with a strong service orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, coordinate, prioritize and direct multiple projects and activities with varied deadlines while multi-tasking in a fast paced travel environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be a strategic and innovative thinker and effective in furthering projects/assignments.
- A self-starter with strong organizational abilities, integrity and confidence.
- Team player with the ability to work in a cooperative/dynamic environment (e.g. with administrators, staff, faculty, and students) and external community (e.g. with business leaders, donors and volunteers) environment.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and make strategic business decisions.
- Ability to keep matters highly confidential and demonstrate honesty at all times.
- Must be highly proficient with the Microsoft software suite, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Experience in higher education.
- Knowledge of fundraising in a university advancement environment.
- Understanding of alumni engagement.
- Experience with Michigan Tech culture.
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
- Employee Safety Overview
- Sexual Harassment Training
- Annual Data Security Training
The qualifications and specifications mentioned above are intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty. The position will be filled based on qualifications regardless of Race, Color, Disability, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, National Origin, Height, Weight, Age, Veteran, or Marital Status.
Campus and Community
Our beautiful campus in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula overlooks the Keweenaw (say "Kee-Wah-Nah") Waterway and is just a few miles from Lake Superior. The area’s waters, forests, and snowfall (218 inches annually) offer skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, and paddling opportunities. Historic downtown Houghton is active with locally owned shops, eateries, high-tech companies, music festivals, and parades. We embrace our size, climate, sense of adventure, and originality. Michigan Tech wouldn’t be the same anywhere else on earth—and we wouldn’t have it any other way.