Financial Services and Operations

University Travel with a Purchasing Card

University Visa Purchasing Card

Employees who travel on University business are encouraged to charge airline tickets, car rentals, gas for rental cars, lodging, and registration fees to the University Visa purchasing card. An employee may charge University-related travel expenses to the purchasing card when making travel arrangements.

The cardholder is responsible for all charges made to the purchasing card and also for obtaining a receipt of purchases. When using the card to make travel arrangements online, you should print the summary page before submitting the order, print the confirmation email showing the itemized purchase, or contact the company to request a receipt, if necessary.

In the event that the purchasing card is not accepted or the vendor merchant codes are blocked by the University to prevent specific goods/services from being charged, contact the Purchasing Department for assistance.

Reallocating Charges

It is the cardholder’s responsibility to reallocate all purchasing card charges from E210 to the appropriate travel expense code, including a new description field that must contain the traveler’s name, date and purpose of travel, and destination. Original receipts for all items charged to the purchasing card must be retained by the cardholder.

Upon completion of the travel, complete an expense voucher indicating the expenses charged to the purchasing card in the appropriate section and those which are reimbursable (e.g., meals, gasoline, tolls, taxis, telephone, tips) in the other section of the voucher. Reimbursement cannot be claimed for expenses charged to the purchasing card, as these expenses are directly charged to a University index. Forward the voucher to Financial Services and Operations, along with copies of receipts for expenses charged to the purchasing card and the original receipts for the reimbursable items.

Rental-Car Collision Insurance

The University purchasing card provides collision insurance coverage on car rentals; therefore, the traveler should decline the car rental company’s Collision Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW option).


To receive a department purchasing card

  1. complete the Michigan Tech purchasing card application/agreement ; and
  2. obtain the appropriate signatures and return it to the Purchasing Department.

For detailed information on the purchasing card, refer to the procedures for using the Purchasing Card.