University Travel with a Corporate Card
American Express Corporate Card
The University has an agreement with American Express Travel Related Service Company Inc. to assist employees who frequently travel on University business in obtaining an American Express Corporate Card. This card is intended primarily for University business but may also be used for personal expenditures. It is the employee's responsibility to pay the American Express bill when it is received.
All faculty and staff who travel at least once a year or host functions on behalf of the University are eligible to apply for the American Express Corporate Card. An annual fee of $35 is assessed to each cardholder. It is at the discretion of the department chair/director to reimburse employees for this fee.
American Express is solely responsible for credit approval and issuance of the card. Nonpayment of charges may result in revocation of card privileges. Once a card has been revoked for late payment/nonpayment, the employee will be unable to continue to participate in the program. Late payment fees are the responsibility of the cardholder.
Card privileges will be withdrawn upon termination of employment with the University. The employee must return the card to Financial Services and Operations before the last day of work.
If you would like to participate in the American Express Corporate Card Program, do the following:
- Request an American Express Corporate Card Application from Financial Services and Operations.
- Complete the application and return it to Financial Services and Operations with a memo signed by the department chair/director authorizing the employee to apply for the corporate card.
Financial Services and Operations personnel will forward the application to American Express for review and approval. The card should arrive from American Express in about two weeks.
The holder of an American Express Corporate Card will
- charge University-related travel expenses (meals, lodging, transportation, etc.) on the American Express Corporate Card.
- file for reimbursement of University-related travel expenses on a travel expense voucher.
- receive a monthly bill from American Express.
- promptly pay all charges directly to American Express.
Any billing discrepancies should be resolved by the cardholder.