A cash advance is an authorized payment of money (via check or direct deposit) by the University to an individual in support of anticipated travel expenses for University business. Employees with access to a University Purchasing Card are encouraged to use the card for allowable travel expenses. Employees holding an American Express Corporate Card are discouraged from requesting cash advances.
Travel advances are considered a loan that is repaid by completing a Travel Expense Voucher. Any unused amount must be returned to the University via the Cashier's Office. Cash advances will not be issued to individuals who have an outstanding balance with Michigan Tech.
Requesting a Travel Advance
Requests for such advances are to be made on a Request for Cash Advance form approved by a department chair/director, at a minimum, or the next-higher level of authority. Employees may not approve a Request for Cash Advance for themselves.
A travel advance to or on behalf of a non-University individual (non-employee and non-student) will only be issued upon the specific written pre-approval of the appropriate Provost/Vice President, which is to be attached to the Request for Cash Advance form. This form is to be signed by the traveler and an employee of the University (department chair or higher). The employee(s) signing the form will be held responsible for proper accounting.
Checks are normally issued on Wednesdays. If an emergency exists and funds are needed immediately, the employee may hand-deliver the approved form to Financial Services and Operations, have it reviewed, and, if approved, receive cash from the Cashier's Office (versus a check) for the amount requested.
The employee who is to travel or who is responsible for obtaining an advance for a non-employee, when authorized, must do the following:
- Complete a Request for Cash Advance.
- Include the traveler's name, identification number, department and amount
- Check the box after traveler's name if the individual is a non-Michigan Tech person—the individual is neither a Michigan Tech employee nor a Michigan Tech student
- Select payment type
- Indicate whether the amount should be paid by check or direct deposit. If payable by check, indicate whether the check should be held for pickup or sent to the department
- Signature of the traveler
- Signature of the department head, department chair, or higher
Note: Advances are considered to be loans to persons to/for whom issued, regardless of form (check, cash, direct deposit); disposition of advances must be accounted for within ten days of completed travel via the submission of a Travel Expense Voucher and the prompt return of any unused monies.