Tax Return Guidance for Nonresidents
Federal Tax Information
Nonresidents who are required to file a tax return should file the following Income Tax Returns:
GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP) software is provided to assist with tax return preparation.
- ISO login required.
- No e-filing of your tax return is permitted; you must print and mail the return.
- Forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ are due by April 15.
- Form 8843 needs to be filed by the due date of Forms 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ—April 15.
- If filing both a 1040 and an 8843, attach the 8843 to the 1040.
- Attach federal copies of Form W-2 and 1042-S to tax return.
- It is advisable to make a photocopy of tax returns before mailing.
- Married students may not file a joint return. Each individual needs to file separately.
- Nonresidents are not allowed Child/Dependent Care or Earned Income Credits.
- Most students are eligible to file Form 1040-NR-EZ.
- If you are from India, Canada, Mexico, or South Korea, you may need to fill out Form 1040NR if dependent exemptions are allowed.
Michigan Tax Information
- There are no specific forms for nonresident individuals.
- The State of Michigan also honors tax treaties.
- Attach Schedule W-Withholding Tax Schedule instead of the state copy of your W-2.
- Attach Form 1042-S to your return, if applicable.
- The deadline to file is April 15.
- GLACIER software does not prepare state returns.
- Michigan Department of Treasury